Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #48921] Fri, 25 May 2012 15:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar nickdk  is currently offline nickdk
Go to all my models
What is the best way to get a model that looks like the rendered image?
I have been in contact with several companies and it seems to be hard to make it.
One of them said I should look at SLA and I have talked to I.Ma but there's a 15 day lead time and I need this yesterday!
I hope someone has an idea!
maybe I should go old school and get it done from a glassblower but I think the model will be too heavy to fit inside my fragile model :S
the tichickess of 1mm isn't so important, it could be thicker if that's better, a solid chunk of clear resin would also be perfect.

• Attachment: resin.jpg
    (Size: 413.49KB, Downloaded 96 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:09 UTC]

Re: How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #48925 is a reply to message #48921 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 16:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Transparent Detail is pretty clear at 1mm wall thickness.
Especially if you polish it.

( example )

Re: How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #48926 is a reply to message #48925 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 16:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
thank you for the reply.
Would the 'egg' need to be created in two parts to polish it inside? And how much work is needed to make it clear? Smile
Re: How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #48934 is a reply to message #48921 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
I'm really not sure transparent detail is going to give you that appearance... Besides, if you need this "yesterday" there is still too much time to make this in TD and then polish it (and trying not to snap it).

You may end up having to create an inner and outer shell with some other material and then use resin like you first suggested. Just what you could use, though, I'm not sure. It also depends on just how exact a shape you want.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #48948 is a reply to message #48934 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 22:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
thank you for the input Glenn,

The shape needs to be very precise because it's going to be placed within some other parts, so I don't see it as something I could do by hand :S
the 'yesterday' comment was a bit exaggerated, but I'll need the finished clear product sooner than the 15 days I have been told at the competitor so i just hoped for a solution here Smile
Re: How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #48951 is a reply to message #48948 ] Sat, 26 May 2012 02:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Nearly any Service Bureau running SLA machines will be running a clear material - there will certainly be one close by who can make that part overnight.

Look for someone running either Accura 60, Accura Clearvue or Somos XC11122.

Be prepared to do a lot of the finishing yourself unless you're prepared to pay a lot for it - you'd be surprised at just how much is involved with giving SLA parts that true "glass-like" transparency.
Re: How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #49165 is a reply to message #48921 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 23:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar VeryWetPaint  is currently offline VeryWetPaint
Go to my shop
Here are two service bureaus I've used in the distant past:

FineLine Prototyping offers both Accura 60 and DSM Somos XC1112 transparent materials and has a lot of experience with custom finishes.

American Precision Prototyping offers Accura 60 with a polished-finish option.

Just FYI, here's a guide to polishing FullCure 720 (Shapeways's "Transparent Detail" material) that shows all the tedious steps in depth:
http://redeyeondemand.com/EFG_Polishing.aspx
Re: How can i get a clear object like the attached? - Help needed asap! [message #49182 is a reply to message #49165 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 05:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
thanks you for the great info,
I'm surprised that there's so much work involved in making the objects clear.
The process explained for the transparent detail, is that comparable to the SLA process?

Previous Topic:Can anyone help please
Next Topic:Looking for Blender Shapeways art for a BlenderNation article