Home »  » Bug Reporting » Forum email notifications broke
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Forum email notifications broke [message #48139] Wed, 09 May 2012 19:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Sometime in the last few days, new posts to forum posts and subscribed sub-forums do not trigger an email notification.
(and no, it is nothing to do with spam filters - those who need to know, just ask and I'll share how my spam filters work)

[Updated on: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:50 UTC]

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48175 is a reply to message #48139 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 08:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Strange, I seem to be getting all email notifications from the forum.

So to be clear, you get no email message from the forum at all, or just the specific scenarios you posted?
(i.e. new topics in subscribed sub-forums and posts to subscribed topics?)

Thanks,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48182 is a reply to message #48175 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 10:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I get no email notifications from new topics in subscribed sub-forums and posts to subscribed topics.

The last subscribed sub-forum message I recieved was at 05:45 GMT+1 8th May and the last subscribed topic message was 20:05 GMT+1 8th May and nothing since ever though there have been plenty of forum topics and posts that I should have been notified about Sad

Send me a PM, to double check that side of things, as the last notification I got was 17:12 GMT+1 8th May which corresponds correctly with the last PM.

Cheers,
Paul

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:20 UTC]

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48183 is a reply to message #48139 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 10:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Weird. Test PM sent

Stupid question though..
Are all settings on http://www.shapeways.com/account
correct?

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:25 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48184 is a reply to message #48183 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 10:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yep, that was the first thing I checked when I noticed email notifications weren't coming through.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16765&private=0

And I turned them off, saved, then turned them all back on again then saved.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:35 UTC]

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48185 is a reply to message #48184 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 10:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stopee  is currently offline stopee
Go to my shop
Just me replying from an alternate account Wink

And the password reset for this account didn't come through either, I used another method to do that Cool

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48187 is a reply to message #48185 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 11:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ignore this, just testing something

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48200 is a reply to message #48187 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah!

Email notifications seem to be working now.

Thanks Very Happy

Doh! They're not - the email was telling me a topic has moved to uservoice.com

Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 14:37 UTC]

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48208 is a reply to message #48200 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 16:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The issue definately looks like it is with all forms of forum notification to my email account as Joost has sent an email to me from service@shapeways.com (the same email address as forum notifications come via) and that came through fine.

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48209 is a reply to message #48208 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
And the newsletter came through fine from shapeways@shapways.com

Just the forum stuff... any ideas yet?

Again chucking the idea out there because it has worked before... flush the server cache?
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48246 is a reply to message #48209 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Any news yet?

Uploaded and printable model messages are not coming through either.

Can someone check the SendGrid applications, as it seems to be only messages that come via SendGrid that are not getting through.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48251 is a reply to message #48246 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 10:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It is now confirmed by my hosting company that they do not use SendGrid, so Shapeways, please look into this matter and let me know what is going on.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48270 is a reply to message #48251 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 16:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
SendGrid support have said emails should be coming through fine, just waiting on a report for the last email they sent through.

Paul
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48364 is a reply to message #48270 ] Mon, 14 May 2012 10:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Woot!

It turned out to be an issue with SendGrid's system and seems to be fixed now - waits for all the messages stuck in their queue to flood through Rolling Eyes

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48417 is a reply to message #48364 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 06:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Oh well, back to the doldrums for me... something is still broken and no messages are getting through... Sad

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48630 is a reply to message #48417 ] Fri, 18 May 2012 08:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ignore me, just testing

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48759 is a reply to message #48630 ] Tue, 22 May 2012 14:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stopee wrote on Fri, 18 May 2012 08:00

ignore me, just testing

same as
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48826 is a reply to message #48759 ] Wed, 23 May 2012 21:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Turns out this is a simple issue, with a simple solution... so now please will someone take stop4stuff.com email addresses off of Shapeways SendGrid bounce list. Two weeks is plenty long enough!

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48964 is a reply to message #48826 ] Sat, 26 May 2012 09:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ignore this - just testing
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #48965 is a reply to message #48964 ] Sat, 26 May 2012 09:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ignore this too Rolling Eyes
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49016 is a reply to message #48965 ] Mon, 28 May 2012 09:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
still broke - any news of when this issue will get fixed or am I just talking to myself?????

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49032 is a reply to message #49016 ] Mon, 28 May 2012 18:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
well it seems that I may still be talking to myself, but others may be listening... conversation is two way guys, please let me know wtf is going on Rolling Eyes

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49037 is a reply to message #49032 ] Mon, 28 May 2012 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
They are not getting notifications about your posts, obviously. ^_^
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49039 is a reply to message #49037 ] Mon, 28 May 2012 19:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Very funny - not!

This issue has been going on since I started this thread, emails from Shapeways that use the SendGrid service, i.e. forum notifications, PM notifications, uploaded model notifications, model printable notifications, Yipee! You've sold a Model notificatons and Model cancelled notification (there may be more but I forget) are not coming through.

My incoming email does not come through an ISP.

My incoming email does not get filtered.

I have total control over my whitelist.

My hosting company have confirmed no incoming emails from SendGrid

SendGrid have confirmed Shapeways have my domain on their bounce list.

All in all your comment is counter-active to resolving the issue.

Sad

Having said that, today some email notifications have come through today that are 3 days old, I am still waiting for a cancellation message with image for a client's model that has some issues... perhaps now you may understand that this issue can affect anyone and is an important issue.

Once the issue is resolved the information will be here as a reference should anyone else suffer in the same way and perhaps the issue will be resolved more quickly than the 19 days.that this has been going on for me.

Paul
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49043 is a reply to message #49039 ] Mon, 28 May 2012 21:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
If mail that Shapeways sends to you is bouncing then a mail server between Shapeways and your machine is not working the way it should. The details of this will be in the message notifies the bounce. You could email Shapeways to find out what the problem is, but you won't get a reply until the problem is fixed.

Since this has been going on some time my guess is that you and/or your hosting company has got yourself into some anti-spam black-list. If it is the one I have had dealings with than getting out can be a long and frustrating process.

The best advice would be to contact Shapeways IT people using a non-email channel and ask them what is going on.

Bill Bedford
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49051 is a reply to message #49043 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 06:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bill, the issue lays with Shapeways email solution for sending out automated emails as noted above (a service called SendGrid), regular emails to and from service@shapeways.com are not effected. I have been in communication with Ralph & Mitchell at Shapeways regarding this issue.

After communicating with my hosting company and SendGrid, we established that for whatever reason my email addresses are (or were) on Shapeways SendGrid bounce list and need to be removed, again as mentioned before.

Some automated notifications are coming through to my email address attached to this account, but not to the email address attached to my other account.

The reason behind my email addresses being on the bounce list has not yet been established, but it could be one of 3 reasons.

1 - I am pro-active in reporting spam and getting my email addresses removed from whatever mail lists the spam comes from.

2 - At some point there was an outage at my hosting company and messages sent via SendGrid genuinely bounced back.

3 - (most likely) on May 14th, SendGrid support stated that email from Shapeways to me was stuck in their queueing system. It is probable that this jam caused messages to be bounced back to Shapeways and my email addresses to be placed on Shapeways SendGrid bounce list.

The simple solution is to remove my email addresses from the bounce list Smile

Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49055 is a reply to message #49051 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 09:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ignore this - testing
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49057 is a reply to message #49051 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 10:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
The bounce list will be a list of addresses that ARE bouncing, rather than SHOULD bounce.

What you need to see is one of the bounce messages that Shapeways have received. This will give you the error code, either 5.X.X or 4.X.X, the reason for the bounce and the server that issued the bounce. From this you can work out what is going wrong and who to complain to.

Bill Bedford
Re: Forum email notifications broke [message #49058 is a reply to message #49057 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 11:03 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the info, however now that Mitchell has removed my email addresses from Shapeways SendGrid bounce list, normal service has been resumed.

Quote:

Hey Paul,

Sorry for the late response. I've just looked through our logs, and it seems that all emails that shapeways.com are trying to send to your email address are being dropped by our system, because you are currently on their bounce list. So, you will be needing to contact them and ask them to delete your address from their bounce list to get this fixed.

Regards,
Andrei
SendGrid Support Engineer

Previous Topic:Rendering 2 different versions ?
Next Topic:Images Update

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.