Home » Support » 3D Printing » Losing texture coordinates with wrl export (update: fixed with AT3D)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Losing texture coordinates with wrl export (update: fixed with AT3D) [message #33947] Wed, 07 September 2011 15:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sophie Kahn  is currently offline Sophie Kahn
Go to my shop
Update: I finally got AT3D to upload a correctly mapped version. Thought I'd leave the post here in case anyone here has the same issue, AT3D fixed it for me! Make sure to fix the texture reference in notepad and scale to 1% if you are exporting VRML from Accutrans.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to prepare a file for full color ZCorp printing ('sandstone'). I have fixed the stl in Netfabb Pro and then added UV coordinates and a texture map in Maya.

The Maya wrl exporter doesn't seem to work at all (I only get errors on upload) so I am now exporting a textured obj to Meshlab and then using Meshlab to export a wrl. (I followed all the directions in the Meshlab->wrl tutorial, scaled and checked for a correct reference in notepad, etc.)

Using this method I have finally persuaded the Shapeways website to accept my upload. The problem is that in the mydesigns preview, it looks like this: the UV mapping has been lost.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/sophiebkahn/shapewayserror.jpg

Customer service said they didn't have the software to open the file and check it at their end, and it looks fine when I check it in Meshlab so I'm not sure where the UVs are getting lost.

Has anyone had this issue? Is my workflow wrong? I need to UV map but am open to using something other than Maya if it's too problematic...

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

ETA I just tried exporting in wrl from Accutrans 3d but Shapeways returned the error "invalid input file format". It was a zip archive with a VRML2 file and a jpg texture. I am getting the same issue with the x3d format.

I also tried doing the mapping in 3ds Max, and followed all the directions in that tutorial. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem; I was able to upload but the preview in mydesigns looks exactly the same.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2011 18:17 UTC]

http://www.sophiekahn.net
Re: Losing texture coordinates with wrl export (update: fixed with AT3D) [message #49013 is a reply to message #33947 ] Mon, 28 May 2012 04:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar thehiddenice  is currently offline thehiddenice
Go to my shop
I just has this same problem. When I brought in the exported wrl from Meshlab, the texture was replaced with a planar projection.

In the saving options in Meshlab, UNCHECK the Vert -> color box. It's like the vert color it was saving out overwrote the UVs or something. All I know is that this fixed it for me.

Previous Topic:Child-Safe Sealant Clear Coat Spray?
Next Topic:Price confusion