Home » Community » General Discussion » magnetic objects
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
magnetic objects [message #48526] Wed, 16 May 2012 12:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar kiorodesign  is currently offline kiorodesign
Go to my shop
The 3D metal printing process seems to produce magnetic objects. Watch the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP8mNJBE0UQ

KIORO'design Team Ciro & Giovanna
Re: magnetic objects [message #48529 is a reply to message #48526 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 13:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
The SS component of the print media is alloy 420 stainless, which unlike 300 series alloys can be magnetized. Printed parts are processed in controlled atmosphere electric furnaces.The heating coil arrangement in these furnaces is circular array. Like a coil surrounding the batch of parts during operation. This might be the source of parts becoming magnetic. Usually this is almost in-detectable in a given part. Your video of those "propellers" is quite remarkable actually! Probably some Big Science going on but I sure can't explain it.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: magnetic objects [message #48530 is a reply to message #48529 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kiorodesign  is currently offline kiorodesign
Go to my shop
thanks for the very detailed technical explanation...
Ciro

KIORO'design Team Ciro & Giovanna
Re: magnetic objects [message #48536 is a reply to message #48530 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 17:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Kioro,
Just a guess, probably not the whole story. Most parts do not come out magnetized like your turbine design. This would make a nice science project for some brainiac Very Happy

-G

Leonardo da Vinci
Re: magnetic objects [message #48539 is a reply to message #48526 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 17:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Is it that 'Shapeways produce magnetic odjects' or is it that Shapeways produce objects have the properties to infulence the Earth's magnetic field?

Laughing
Re: magnetic objects [message #48542 is a reply to message #48539 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 20:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
To influence the magnetic field of the EARTH.. you'd need a printer with a slightly larger build volume.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: magnetic objects [message #48548 is a reply to message #48526 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 22:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
Wow that video is really cool!
So, is it the turbine shape that made the print come out magnetic?
Will it happen again if you order other print of the same model, or was it a one time fluke?
Re: magnetic objects [message #48549 is a reply to message #48548 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Good question Mary. The phenomena is unintentional, we would probably need and expert in electromagnetics to explain it.
-G

Leonardo da Vinci
Re: magnetic objects [message #48580 is a reply to message #48526 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 12:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ggurov  is currently offline ggurov
Go to my shop
I work here
what would be a case where having an SS part be magnetized, even slightly, be detrimental ? i could see not wanting various pieces be magnetized if you work around computer parts, especially hard drives, but the magnetic field would have to be quite a bit bigger there to do any kind of damage.

Database Architect, DBA, Datacenter guru, infrastructure wizard, none of the above.
Re: magnetic objects [message #48585 is a reply to message #48542 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 12:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
stonysmith wrote on Wed, 16 May 2012 20:57

To influence the magnetic field of the EARTH.. you'd need a printer with a slightly larger build volume.

Or a man and a wench http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

Back on topic, could it be caused by polishing, sanding of sprues?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: magnetic objects [message #48938 is a reply to message #48526 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 18:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I have magnetized my stainless steel pieces when polishing them... and part of the process involved using a stainless steel brush in a Dremel...

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: magnetic objects [message #48947 is a reply to message #48938 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 22:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Yah that could definitely do it. Even on a piece of plain steel friction can induce magnetic properties. This is very slight but observable. It's generally not a problem and can be reversed with the use of a de-magnetizing tool.
-G

Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Really cool way to interact with your computer
Next Topic:Material properties - density

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.