Home » Community » General Discussion » ideal prototype
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ideal prototype [message #48910] Fri, 25 May 2012 14:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar dundaglan  is currently offline dundaglan
Go to my shop
hey folks. I'm wondeing what the ideal/handiest material would be uised to print my model and then be used as the prototype to clone and duplicate in casting/moulding? No idea about this process. Would ideally replicate the origibnale model and have some cast in plastics, bronze and gold finishes. trying to bring the cost down.

Model is here: index.php?t=getfile&id=17172&private=0

its quite smaill. 4.5 incehs high ut very detailed. What material would capture this detail and be good for casting?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 May 2012 14:12 UTC]

Re: ideal prototype [message #48911 is a reply to message #48910 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 14:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
You would need FUD to capture the best detail. I'd look into the post production section to see about making a mold from FUD. I'd guess you have to coat it in some way to make sure your molding material would release.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: ideal prototype [message #48914 is a reply to message #48911 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 14:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That the frosted detail?
Re: ideal prototype [message #48915 is a reply to message #48910 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 14:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
That's the frosted ultra detail. Sorry we sometimes shorten the longer names here on the forums.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: ideal prototype [message #48919 is a reply to message #48915 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 14:33 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Cheers dude - I'll get the lingo sorted once i get around the site.

Previous Topic:How to make a model car replica? Please help!
Next Topic:Mass multiple printing - Large volume orders