Home » Community » It arrived! » Low Poly Escher Lizard
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48145] Wed, 09 May 2012 20:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
Hi all,

Well, these arrived late last week.

This model let me do two things; it let me sample the other Strong and Flexible colours as well as the white I'm already familiar with, and also the... well the repeatability of the 3d printing process.

The simple design made no concessions towards the material, that is, the model on the computer tessellates perfectly, and I was interested to see how it would work in the real world.

The pieces fit together pretty well... actually really well and it's quite cool to see them together Smile

I had the idea this might work as a pendant if printed in SS... but I'm having difficulty designing in a large enough loop to take a cord or chain without destroying the tessellation properties.

There is a tiny loop on the rear but it's <1.5mm so too small to be practical... back to the drawing board I guess...

index.php?t=getfile&id=16713&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16714&private=0

mygadgetlife.blogspot.co.uk
Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48148 is a reply to message #48145 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Awesome!

Instead of a loop, perhaps make a hole sideways through one of the extremities (e.g. head) to thread a necklace through?

[edit] do the hole right and it could represent eyes without the necklace Cool

[Updated on: Wed, 09 May 2012 20:47 UTC]

Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48179 is a reply to message #48148 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 09:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks stonysmith,

Yep I think you're onto something - I can create a few holes (and push the limits for SS printing at the same time!), maybe increase the depth of the model - as a pendant it's not so essential that it lies flat on a surface.

I'm keen to see if the SS maintains compatibility with the S&F models... watch this space!

Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48217 is a reply to message #48145 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 21:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Cool Smile

I agree with the holes-as-eyes idea.

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48344 is a reply to message #48217 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar emielrombach  is currently offline emielrombach
Go to my shop
That's funny, I've been working on about the same idea Smile Look's cool though!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/538218/7217a860758ec9094a52b9 aaf7835190
Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48471 is a reply to message #48145 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 18:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@mygadgetlife - If you're talking about mixing the SF's with the stainless steel I think you'll find there will be size differences and they likely won't fit together well.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48510 is a reply to message #48471 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 06:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Glenn,

Yes I appreciate what you're saying and that the materials might not share the same final dimensions down to the differing manufacturing processes... but I'm intrigued by the possibilities and if it takes a little trial error, then that's part of the fun I suppose. Smile

@emielrombach, yes Escher is good inspiration for many creators on Shapeways - my little lizard suited my skill level (ie basic), the software (Sketchup) and budget!

I'd be interested to see what you have, but the link you put in isn't working... try going into Edit mode on your model, then check the 'Show to Public' box (or whatever it's called... I don't recall the exact wording...) then update.

Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48516 is a reply to message #48510 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 08:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
Stop4stuff was kidding with the eye holes right? I mean nice without the chain, but pretty gruesome with a chain through the eyes...

I would go for the bigger hand that already looks like it's holding something, so it would hang like the purple one in the picture.
Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48517 is a reply to message #48516 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 08:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Wahtah - I hadn't thought of it like that, & now you mention it, yes, gruesome indeed. Your idea is much neater Smile

Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48541 is a reply to message #48516 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for all the feedback guys Smile

@Wahtah - yes this was one idea... looking at it again it wouldn't be too hard...

...but I've come up with an alternative Confused , already in production, should have it in a couple of weeks, will probably need refining but hey ho...

Watch this space...

Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48547 is a reply to message #48145 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 22:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
Awesome! I've always loved those Escher lizards.
It would be amazing in the new colored ceramics, if you can get the tolerances correct. Lizard coasters that form one big lizard trivet?
Re: Low Poly Escher Lizard [message #48713 is a reply to message #48547 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 18:31 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Great idea Mary!

I would need to flatten it a bit, smooth out the corners, bevel the edges...

Oh wait... here's one I made earlier... Smile

What do you guys think? Would this print in ceramic?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:04 UTC]

Previous Topic:Dancing Ampersands by OSKAR
Next Topic:NZ 1:120 TT Pickup

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.