Home » Community » General Discussion » Model rejected at print, but not on upload
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model rejected at print, but not on upload [message #48609] Thu, 17 May 2012 20:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar SirThankzALot  is currently offline SirThankzALot
Go to all my models
I've been having some trouble getting something printed, and I've discussed it in the "Work in Progress" part of the forum.

But my question for here is why does my model pass the upload test but then get rejected when it comes time to print.

This gives me about 2 days in-between each time I try to fix the model and when I find out if the fix was enough.

It would be nice if there was a way to know upfront whether a model has truly passed. Maybe a plugin for ZBrush or Maya, or something like that would be nice.
Re: Model rejected at print, but not on upload [message #48610 is a reply to message #48609 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 21:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DarrenAbbey  is currently offline DarrenAbbey
Go to my shop
For the automated system to catch all problematic models, across all the possible models which could be designed, the problematic issue has to be defined in a very strict way which the computer can use.

It is an algorithmically difficult task to do this generally, even though it may be immediately apparent to a human viewing the model that there is a specific problem. The shapeways staff have spent a great deal of time attempting to define exactly what will and will not survive printing, so that they can add them to their automated checks... but the task is in no way done.
Re: Model rejected at print, but not on upload [message #48615 is a reply to message #48609 ] Fri, 18 May 2012 00:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The "final" checks are done by a human as they try to assemble the group of items to be printed together in a single batch .

The "initial" (computer) checks are not rigorous enough ensure that a model is fully printable.

You can send your file to service@shapeways.com and ask for a check before you order the model... that may save you some cycle time. You will also find that as you learn the limitations, it's often possible to get a model accepted without any rejects.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Shapeways used a slower UPS service to deliver a late order?
Next Topic:Let Shapeways fix the model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.