Home » Community » General Discussion » Help me Decide on my first printer.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help me Decide on my first printer. [message #48551] Wed, 16 May 2012 22:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Mikesnap  is currently offline Mikesnap
Go to all my models
Hey Guys, I'm Mikesnap. (let me give a little background on my self). I'm a laser enthusiast that is wanting to begin in the world of 3d printing. I was planning on buying my first printer fully built so I can learn to use it without worrying about hurting parts while building it. Ive narrowed my options between two printers. The makerbot replicator and the Up! 3d printer. First I have a question, which of the following links is the correct Up 3d printer link. These two are different sites (and different prices) and seem to be selling the same product. Here's the links: http://pp3dp.com/index.php and http://www.up3dusa.com/store#!__store

So, give me your opinions on which one would be a better choice. Also any other comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading Very Happy

Mike
Re: Help me Decide on my first printer. [message #48568 is a reply to message #48551 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 04:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
I don't know much about the UP, but I have a friend with a Makerbot that after three years still hasn't managed to get it to be reliable. The resolution is poor and without a support material it severely limits the things it can print. I purchased a CNC router and it's much more useful as I can 'print' in woods, plastics, and soft metals. The same limits as a Makerbot apply, within the reach of the router bit. And with a small stepover I can make extremely smooth surfaces.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Help me Decide on my first printer. [message #48575 is a reply to message #48568 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 10:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mikesnap  is currently offline Mikesnap
Go to all my models
That stinks to hear. What makerbot did he have. Their newest one (replicator) seems to be the best. That CNC router seems nice but is probably WAY out of my price range. I'm just wanting to get a home printer to start experimenting with. Thanks

Mike
Re: Help me Decide on my first printer. [message #48579 is a reply to message #48551 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 11:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Hi!

Your best option would of course be to just use the Shapeways printing service.
This kind of quality you can not yet get at home Wink

But for prototyping/testing before sending it of to shapeways, having your own printer is ideal.

So back on topic, I have been an UP-user for over 1,5 years.
Still happy, very reliable and excellent service should anything brake down.
Materials can be sourced from other places, although this sometimes needs some (simple) tweaking as the ABS resin used can be different than UP stock (lower melt temp)

As long as you understand the limitations of FDM printing, it's all fun from there Wink

As to which site is correct depends on where you live.
For some countries they have designated resellers, so they won't ship from china directly then.
Resellers need to make money too, so they are often a bit more expensive, but they also have local replacement parts and service which makes up for a lot.

I recommend checking out the forums over at pp3dp for more info on the Up, there is a wealth of info there which I could never summarize here Wink

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Help me Decide on my first printer. [message #48762 is a reply to message #48579 ] Tue, 22 May 2012 16:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
I recommend building your printer. Having one come assembled will get you going faster, but these machines need a great deal of care and maintenance. The best way to know your machine inside and out is to build it from the ground up.
That said, the Replicator is a good printer with dual extrusion (even if you don't care for 2-color prints, using the second head as a water soluble support structure will save you a *lot* of time in support removal). The replicator is neither fast nor high resolution, but it does come pre-assembled and calibrated, and the community is large.

Be prepared to occasionally tear down the extruder, level the printbed , adjust belts, and so on; there aren't any100% reliable printers. Even the ones Shapeways uses get cranky.

I have not used one, but the DLP printers like Jr Veloso's seem to have a lot fewer moving parts and much lower temp as well, so I'd expect them to be a good deal more reliable... until there are more of them in hobbyist hands that's just a guess though.

Previous Topic:Help me start a meetup in Berlin!
Next Topic:What's the best 3D software?