Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Post production polishing?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Post production polishing? [message #48343] Sun, 13 May 2012 19:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar fraochdha  is currently offline fraochdha
Go to my shop
Couple questions here.

Is the stainless material solid stainless to the core? Can you polish it as much as you want after the receipt to achieve a high luster finish? If so are there any good techniques for this? how much can you polish a bronze finish without taking it down to it's stainless core?

Thx
Re: Post production polishing? [message #48485 is a reply to message #48343 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 21:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
This material is a true composite, a blend of stainless steel and bronze. Parts are (or should be) solid and consistent to the core. Printed parts are barrel tumbled to smooth and polish the surfaces. The natural color of this material is generally greyish silver with a slight red/gold blush. Parts that are plated or have the "bronze" finish can not be further polished without removing these treatments. If you want to do more polishing on your own it would be best to order parts in the basic SS finish. It is not very difficult to add your own bronze patina. This can be done either with heat or chemically. I believe you will find some discussions about this here on the forum.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Help my model cost €7,971.08!!!!!!
Next Topic:Hardening steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.