Home » Support » 3D Printing » Mesh medic error / Problem with model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48386] Mon, 14 May 2012 16:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar Relaxis  is currently offline Relaxis
Go to my shop
Hi, what does this error mean and how can I fix it?
Re: Our Mesh Medic could not fix/unify your product in time [message #48388 is a reply to message #48386 ] Mon, 14 May 2012 17:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It probably means the model is too complex for the mesh medic/upload interface to properly interpret it.
This can be caused by multiple technical factors.

What kind of model are you trying to upload?
Does it have multiple shells/volumes and/or does it contain color?

If not color, you can try and see if this service can fix it for you:
http://cloud.netfabb.com/

It usually does wonders for me on complex models.

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Our Mesh Medic could not fix/unify your product in time [message #48392 is a reply to message #48386 ] Mon, 14 May 2012 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Relaxis wrote on Mon, 14 May 2012 16:45

Hi, what does this error mean and how can I fix it?

It means you need to politly ask Shapeways Customer Services if they'd mind increasing the timeout on MeshMedic Wink The cause is mainly due to high poly multiple interlaced shells, e.g. 800k triangles on a 1000 ring chain maille piece Rolling Eyes

Re: Our Mesh Medic could not fix/unify your product in time [message #48393 is a reply to message #48386 ] Mon, 14 May 2012 17:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi,

I went into netfabb and found that there were loads of red triangles which needed flipping which netfabb wasn't doing. I've had to go in manually and do it. Now when I uploaded one of the models I then got "calculation failed".

Do you know why that might be?

Problem with model [message #48434 is a reply to message #48386 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 12:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi,

I used the automatic repair function on netfabb and replaced the part. After this is all done I basically get the same issue as before - red spots all over the model. I've tried running the flip triangles script and I just can't get it to work.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16914&private=0

Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48438 is a reply to message #48386 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 14:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I have merged your topics to keep things a bit tidy.

I am not very familiar with netfabb basic, so cannot help you with that, but did you try the netfabb cloud option?

Cheers,

Stijn

Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48441 is a reply to message #48438 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 14:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes I did, it couldn't repair it
Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48442 is a reply to message #48386 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hmm, sounds like the errors in the model are too complex for automated systems to fix them.

Perhaps someone can help you fix the problem closer to the source?
What software did you use to create it?

Cheers,

Stijn

Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48462 is a reply to message #48442 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Poser then zbrush
Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48474 is a reply to message #48462 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 19:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bump?
Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48475 is a reply to message #48474 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Send me the file via PM.
I'll take a look.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48478 is a reply to message #48475 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey,

I would love to be able to PM you the file however it is about 60 mb large, i'll PM you a download link.
Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48484 is a reply to message #48478 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 21:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You've got a massive amount of holes, particularly in the area of the mouth. I used NetFabb to close all the holes and it gave me a model that should be uploadable.

Your model includes separate meshes for the clothing apart from the body itself. There is also quite a bit of detail inside the mouth behind the mask.. teeth??? This is not necessary.. you should attempt to boolean together all the meshes so that you have only a single final mesh. That will drastically cut down your filesize, and help with some of the other issues you're having.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48487 is a reply to message #48484 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 21:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi yeah, in Zbrush the clothes are extracted from the mesh as seperate subtools, I then I simply merge them together, though I didn't realise that they were still seperate shells.

How did you close the holes? Did you use netfabb basic or professional? How would I boolean the meshes together in the most simple way?

[Updated on: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:26 UTC]

Re: Mesh medic error / Problem with model [message #48490 is a reply to message #48487 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 22:12 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Netfabb Basic. Use both options "Close Trivial Holes" and "Close All Holes"

Previous Topic:Feasible design for printing?
Next Topic:Wall thickness for large objects in FD

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.