Home » Support » 3D Printing » Material sources
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Material sources [message #48297] Sat, 12 May 2012 11:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Hey guys. I was wondering where/who you source your materials from. In particular I'm curious about the sterling silver, UV curable acrylic plastic, and stainless steel materials as those are the ones I'm currently designing for, but I'd like to find out about all the materials you use.

It's for my own mental map/flowchart of where things come from Smile

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: Material sources [message #48328 is a reply to message #48297 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 05:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
The majority of the materials Shapeways would use are propietary and machine specific. The "Source" is nearly always the manufacturer of the technology that prints it.

Sterling Silver is actually from an investment casting process - the original wax master used was probably printed on either a SolidScape or Projet3000CP/CPX. The material for both of these machines is from the manufacturers of the machines themselves.

Stainless Steel is probably the LaserForm process from 3D Systems. A Stainless Steel(95%)/Nylon(5%) blend is sintered layer by layer to make a "green" (very weak) part. This green part is then infused with bronze in a high temperature kiln to "solidify" the part.

UV Curable Acrylates - either ProJet or Objet - both use propietary materials also. The application of these photopolymers differs slightly.

WSF is just Nylon 12 - I believe since Shapeways use EOS machines it's probably PA2200. I imagine though that right now PA2200 is becoming very hard to come by for Shapeways since a factory explosion in Germany about 2 months ago decimated worldwide stocks of Nylon 12 for all industries, and afaik, EOS has now completely run out of PA2200.

Re: Material sources [message #48331 is a reply to message #48297 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 12:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Woah, interesting.

Makes sense that the material would also come from the machine manufacturers.

I am still curious about where the silver used in the casting process comes from though. I'm currently imagining gnomes sneaking into a silver dragon's mountain to store lost and forgotten silver items they have found, where it collects in a heap until there is a big enough pile to make it worth the dragon's while flying the shipment to the Shapeways silversmiths. Haha. I like this picture.

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: Material sources [message #48346 is a reply to message #48328 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 21:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Steel-Bronze is printed like sandstone (that one is Z-Corp), no lasers, you can see it in the video.

So you have to figure the source of the bronze too now. It make less than half of the part, but not by much. ^_^

Some machines can be loaded with non official materials (voiding support contracts). DIY people are figuring sources for materials continously.

Previous Topic:Any news on dyed polished SF ?
Next Topic:Printing Sizes of models

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.