Home »  » Bug Reporting » Model properties: Do not allow copying
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model properties: Do not allow copying [message #483] Fri, 01 August 2008 19:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar calli  is currently offline calli
Go to all my models
Model properties:
Do not allow copying

What does that mean? I cant set this property for my modells, but see it on all(?) other modells. Still I can put them in my basket.

Carsten
Re: Model properties: Do not allow copying [message #559 is a reply to message #483 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 08:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Yes, that option doesn't really work yet. We'll have that fixed in our next release.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Model properties: Do not allow copying [message #570 is a reply to message #559 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 12:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wildsketch  is currently offline Wildsketch
Go to all my models
I'm curious about what it means about what you intend to be possible with the site.

It seems that at least three kinds of sharing or keeping to yourself might be possible:

1. Share or withhold views of the model (private setting)

2. Share or withhold copying (maybe others could download, modify and then re-upload your file, to make improvements or incorporate it into their own work.)

3. Printing. Not wanting someone do download a source file isn't always the same as not wanting them to have the end result of that file.

The differences between 2 and 3 are interesting to me. 2 implies the possibility for collaborative design, and the extension of the "download-remix-upload" culture to 3D printing. This seems like a good thing.

Hiding somewhere just beyond 3. is a service model that enables shapeways to become the CafePress of 3D printing.
In this scenario I can imagine designers who create figurines, or objects, makes them available for others to order. They may either allow others to order and have them printed for the base cost, or plus an additional cost to pay the designer. This might be very worthwhile when you consider the market for resin kits, figurines or such in comic book shops, or for jewelery if shapeways could print in metal.
Re: Model properties: Do not allow copying [message #613 is a reply to message #570 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 12:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
We don't have a function for sharing 3d design files (yet?), so I'm not really sure about option 2 either.

Option 3 means someone can see the design, but not order it. About the upshot of that I can't really comment yet..

*checks to see if boss is reading this forum*

Yeah, stay tuned for more info on that Wink

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Error Messages
Next Topic:Strange folder appeared in computer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.