Home » Community » General Discussion » anti gravity machine solves need for support material?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
anti gravity machine solves need for support material? [message #48220] Thu, 10 May 2012 21:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
I was just thinking, "In space, no one can hear you scream... or joy that you don't need support material when 3D printing".

Or would we? I suppose that depending on the method of fabrication, any movement would cause material to wiggle out of place.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: anti gravity machine solves need for support material? [message #48228 is a reply to message #48220 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 00:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar froland  is currently offline froland
Go to my shop
Build a 3D printer for space applications...
...sounds like fun! Anybody willing to sponsor a physicist for that?

I'd volunteer to try it out too Wink

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/frolands
Re: anti gravity machine solves need for support material? [message #48252 is a reply to message #48220 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 12:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If I'm not mistaken there is already one on ISS. One interesting story I read was to land a 3D printer on the moon or mars, that uses native material to build shelter for future visitors. It would be interesting not having to fight gravity but suddenly having to fight momentum. (Yes I understand there is gravity on the moon and mars, I just read what I wrote and it made me sound like I didn't know that)

[Updated on: Fri, 11 May 2012 12:48 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: anti gravity machine solves need for support material? [message #48262 is a reply to message #48220 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 14:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One downside to no support material in zero G, how does the material stop at where it is needed? Razz

[edit] oops, Mike mentioned momentum - must read more fully Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Fri, 11 May 2012 14:38 UTC]

Re: anti gravity machine solves need for support material? [message #48298 is a reply to message #48262 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
How long it take to put down a layer of material? If it is just a fraction of a minute, you could do zero-g printing on an airplane. Just load the printer on a "Vomit Comet" Twisted Evil

Greetings
Karl Heinz
Re: anti gravity machine solves need for support material? [message #48301 is a reply to message #48298 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 13:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Well, machines that use powder or open vats of resin aren't going to work too well in zero gravity, so that leaves the injet type machine and we all know just how well they work at putting material in just the right place even with the help of full earth gravity.............

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:Purchasing without Paypal?
Next Topic:UV protective spray

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.