Home » Community » Introductions » Greetings from London
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Greetings from London [message #48202] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Nathan2012  is currently offline Nathan2012
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=16777&private=0[img]]Hi

My name is Nathan and I've had a shop on the Shapeways site for a couple of months now and thought it was time to introduce myself.

I've been designing on CAD software for several years (I use Google Sketchup) but wasn't sure what to do with the designs. I had heard of 3D printing but didn't know much at all about it, then I heard a piece on a BBC World Service program called 'Click' about a surgeon who used Shapeways to make a 3D print of a bone. I was intrigued and have been hooked ever since.

I found the site easy to use for someone with no previous experience of designing for 3D printing. There were a few hitches (finding a suitable STL add-on for Sketchup for example) but this was sorted with some help from other members - many thanks to you.

I now have a few models in my Shapeways shop and would welcome any feedback from other Shapeways members. My interest is in the field of architectural modelling and will continue to upload new designs in the coming months.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 14:59 UTC]

Re: Greetings from London [message #48203 is a reply to message #48202 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Welcome Nathan!

I'm glad the community was able to get you up and running!

PS I tried fixing your image to display in your post, but somethings not working so I'm looking into why it's not showing.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 14:54 UTC]

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Greetings from London [message #48204 is a reply to message #48203 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Good thanks.

Enjoying designing models and being on quite a big learning curve - exciting stuff!
Re: Greetings from London [message #48205 is a reply to message #48203 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It worked in the preview but now won't load when submitted, for some reason...?
Re: Greetings from London [message #48207 is a reply to message #48202 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Now it's working, for me at least. Besides having an [img] tag after it.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Greetings from London [message #48299 is a reply to message #48207 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 12:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Hi Nathan

Welcome to the community. I had already admired your models before you posted your introduction.

One question: What scale are your models? I don't see that in the description. I guess that the bus shelters are in a different scale from the Sydney Harbour Bridge? Wink

Greetings
Karl Heinz
Re: Greetings from London [message #48377 is a reply to message #48299 ] Mon, 14 May 2012 14:28 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Hi

Thanks - I'm glad you like the models. They have so far mostly been designed from photographs as I haven't been able to find any information on dimensions to make them to scale. They are all different in scale to each other. I have been trying to make them as small as possible whilst including as much detail as I can and keeping to minimum wall thicknesses for 3D printing.

However I have been looking into making future models to scale where I can.

Nathan

Previous Topic:Hello
Next Topic:Greetings from Roosevelt Island, New York City