Home »  » Work in progress » Need to create a .wrl file from a 3DS file
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need to create a .wrl file from a 3DS file [message #47760] Wed, 02 May 2012 15:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar JoostD  is currently offline JoostD
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi There,

I have a 3DS file (with color) that is unfortunately way to big to be printed in the material: full color sandstone. I want to rescale the model so it can fit in the printer but I don't know how I can do that. It's for a customer of mine.

Can someone please help me out with this problem!

Please contact me at joost@shapeways.com

I have attached the 3DS file. The maximum size of the model can not be bigger then: 250 x 380 x 200mm

Many thanks in advanced.

Joost

Re: Need to create a .wrl file from a 3DS file [message #47763 is a reply to message #47760 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 16:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Hi Joost,

I took a quick look at your file, scaling is not an issue, just enter 0.006 as the scale factor in whatever software you use... what is the issue, is that at the size you want, some of the walls are below the spec for Shapeways design rules.

Also, as your model comprises of many shells, the colour infomations gets garbled on conversion to wrl, your best bet is to combine the shells first then colour the (single shell) model once the wall thickness issues are sorted out.

Paul
Re: Need to create a .wrl file from a 3DS file [message #47866 is a reply to message #47763 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 12:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JoostD  is currently offline JoostD
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

May I ask if my customer can inform you (by email). I am not a designer so it's not really my ball game here.

This customer is also not the designer of the building but the person who has build it for him is not reachable anymore (lives in India)
The 3DS file has colors but is way to big. When I rescale it and then save it as a .wrl file it takes all the colors away. I really don't know why that is happening.

Can I give him your email address!

Thanks in advanced.

Joost
Re: Need to create a .wrl file from a 3DS file [message #48113 is a reply to message #47866 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 10:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AD-Edge  is currently offline AD-Edge
Go to my shop
Id suggest using netfab, it can be downloaded for free and shapeways even have a tutorial on it. You could look into Meshlab as well, meshlab is good for debugging whether textures are still working with your model (as far as Ive seen netfab doesnt display textures, only a solid model or wireframe)

Both programs are super easy to use, and display the size of the model in question so you know its the right size before youve even uploaded. Resizing/rotating is super easy as well of course.

Check out the link here - http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how_to_use_meshlab_and_ne tfabb

Re: Need to create a .wrl file from a 3DS file [message #48140 is a reply to message #48113 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 19:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
AD-Edge wrote on Wed, 09 May 2012 10:46

Id suggest using netfab, it can be downloaded for free and shapeways even have a tutorial on it. You could look into Meshlab as well, meshlab is good for debugging whether textures are still working with your model (as far as Ive seen netfab doesnt display textures, only a solid model or wireframe)

Both programs are super easy to use, and display the size of the model in question so you know its the right size before youve even uploaded. Resizing/rotating is super easy as well of course.

Check out the link here - http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how_to_use_meshlab_and_ne tfabb

sorry, i have just got to Laughing Laughing Laughing

if you downloaded the file in the opening post, you would have seen just what a nightmare the model file is... mulitple shells and vrml just dont seem to get on one little bit... and forget NetFabb for sorting out ready coloured models, NetFabb only deals with shells - this is a manual job that I'm starting to wish I never agreed to Confused Sad Crying or Very Sad

Previous Topic:Parts of Object Disappears
Next Topic:Pop-up earring holder/display for Flextest

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.