Home » Community » Work in progress » HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48035] Tue, 08 May 2012 05:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar lymanbishop  is currently offline lymanbishop
Go to my shop
Fully Functional
Tube launched
Gyroscopic

Model Rocket

This rocket used a standard Estes D3 engine. Embedded within the nosecone and tailfins are a series of gryoscopes, driven by the force of moving air. Modeled after the Sidewinder missle.

Ive been flying model rockets for years and have never seen anything like this. Truly one of a kind.
index.php?t=getfile&id=16661&private=0

Lyman Bishop
lymanbishop@star-labs.com
www.star-labs.com
406-407-6995
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48042 is a reply to message #48035 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bradykineticcuriosities  is currently offline bradykineticcuriosities
Go to my shop
Intriguing...

So what is being 3D printed? The exterior, the gyroscopes, or both? Any concerns of precision vs. durability for the nose section?

I would be interested in seeing the wind driven gryoscopes in greater detail - in my day job I work with a bunch of powered ones...

www.bradykineticcuriosities.com A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48055 is a reply to message #48042 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Everything is 3D printed. SLS allows you to build parts within parts, so I have been able to integrate the gyros without post process assembly. Heres a closer look at the gyros in position.index.php?t=getfile&id=16672&private=0

Lyman Bishop
www.star-labs.com
406-407-6995
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48061 is a reply to message #48055 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Very interesting - have you begun testing yet?

www.bradykineticcuriosities.com A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48063 is a reply to message #48055 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 18:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
heres the tail fin gyro assembly
i havnt tested this one yet, but i have tested similar ones. i will post video of this once i get it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16674&private=0

[Updated on: Tue, 08 May 2012 18:41 UTC]

Lyman Bishop
www.star-labs.com
406-407-6995
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48068 is a reply to message #48063 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 19:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm now leaving 3D printing territory, but I have a couple of questions on the tail...

What thickness is the boundary layer on the tail sections when you are at cruising speed? What I see is a potential for decreased airflow if you are inside that envelope...

I'm not that familiar with rollerons, but would you have more of a roll correction when the gyroscopes are further from the central axis?

Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48080 is a reply to message #48068 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 21:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
would gyroscopes that light produce any significant stabalization?

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48087 is a reply to message #48080 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 00:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well find out soon. Parts have been ordered and I will test on arrival. Ill post a video on here of a few wind and flight tests. Ive been considering using steel add ons for the rear gyros to add weight. Ill find out if I need to after test. I will keep everyone posted.

Any other questions / comments?

Lyman Bishop
www.star-labs.com
406-407-6995
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48092 is a reply to message #48087 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 02:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
what material do you use? have you tried this already? I would think that WSF would be nice and light but flexibility and porousness would both be problems.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48095 is a reply to message #48092 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 03:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Its being made now in WSF .3125" thick in the tube. Im not worried about porousness, and due to its geometry I dont expect it to flex much. Keep in mind, standard model rocket tubes are made of thin cardboard. Im going for something a step stiffer. We shall see. Ill report back with photos and video shortly.

Lyman Bishop
www.star-labs.com
406-407-6995
Re: HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET [message #48709 is a reply to message #48035 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 13:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
Hi
that's a nice looking rocket.
I recently designed and had printed a rocket in WSF, using an estes engine, i found that the estes c6 engine expanded enough to break the rocket as i believe the WSF material couldn't handle the engines heat too well, maybe aluminide would be better. and leave enough room for the expansion, probably just a mill or so. also the engine backfire melted the WSF .

the gyroscope system looks interesting, though what i have read about gyroscopes im not sure if they will make any difference to trajectory, they most probably will just create more drag, but it will be interesting to see:) good luck.

Previous Topic:the 4 elements
Next Topic:My Cappuccino Cup

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.