Home » Community » General Discussion » SS print slightly magnetised
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
SS print slightly magnetised [message #47962] Sun, 06 May 2012 20:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
I was posing my latest prints (very small 1:200 scale car models) for photographing when I noticed that they would occasionally move to touch each other.

They seem to have arrived from SW with a small amount of magnetism. I understand from a previous thread that this steel can sometimes retain a magnetic 'memory' but I'd like to know if there are any steps taken to avoid this.
Re: SS print slightly magnetised [message #47963 is a reply to message #47962 ] Sun, 06 May 2012 20:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Heat it above the curie temperature* to lose the magnetism.

Curie temperature = the temperature needed to make the material lose magnetism
Re: SS print slightly magnetised [message #48050 is a reply to message #47963 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 15:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Heating it that high is really going mess up the finish. The best way to do this would be with a de-magnetizing or degaussing device. Cheap ones are available from hobby or electronics suppliers used for demagnetizing screw drivers etc. These are nothing but a set of magnets held in a plastic frame, cost about $10. Or, if you have a tape head demagnetizing wand left over from your ancient tape recorder days?
Even dropping your models several times on a hard surface will likely demagnetize them.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: SS print slightly magnetised [message #48054 is a reply to message #47962 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
Thanks for your degaussing suggestions, the magnetism is very slight, so I'm probably not going to do anything about it.

Mostly I was intrigued to know if this was an effect other people had noticed and whether it was a known side-effect of the printing process and if it was then whether SW did anything about it.
Re: SS print slightly magnetised [message #48057 is a reply to message #48054 ] Tue, 08 May 2012 17:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Straight out of the furnace I have not seen parts come out in a magnetized state. However, place a SS print near a strong magnetic field, even just touch a rare earth magnet to it, and presto change'o. This is usually not a problem unless you are trying to hand ploish a part or if parts are in service near fine iron fillings or dust. Easy enough to reverse though.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Minneapolis Shapeways Meetup - Tuesday, May 22
Next Topic:Carving the Material

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.