Home » Community » It arrived! » 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47880] Fri, 04 May 2012 14:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
I ordered a whole bunch of earrings, with the intention of using them for the pendant photos too.

They didn't arrive with hooks though, I'm not sure if this is because I was supposed to do something for earrings to be sent with hooks or if Shapeways don't send hooks out anymore?

Anyway, I'll post some of the pictures I took of them today as necklace pendants here. I may have to take a few new ones for some of them, I rushed through in excitement so some got blurred without me realising!

I'll also take some photos after I've done something about the waxy residue on the FUD. I quite like it, but chances are it would wear off eventually or make a little mess, so I'll try cleaning it off to see how they look.

There are a few artefacts left over from the printing and casting processes and some of them are a little warped, but I think they're okay for the purpose of pendants like these.

Four Petal Flower in FUD
index.php?t=getfile&id=16568&private=0

Sixteen Petals in FUD
index.php?t=getfile&id=16569&private=0

Suspended Coin in Silver
index.php?t=getfile&id=16570&private=0

Eight Petals Crossed in Silver
index.php?t=getfile&id=16571&private=0

All of the Pendants I received
index.php?t=getfile&id=16572&private=0

Update: Added links

• Attachment: DSC02168.JPG
    (Size: 1.05MB, Downloaded 498 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02199.JPG
    (Size: 1.03MB, Downloaded 484 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02161.JPG
    (Size: 1.06MB, Downloaded 473 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02191.JPG
    (Size: 1.13MB, Downloaded 490 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02136.JPG
    (Size: 1.12MB, Downloaded 473 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 04 May 2012 16:59 UTC]

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47957 is a reply to message #47880 ] Sun, 06 May 2012 11:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Decided to post up some close ups of the next five in the series Smile

Four Petal Flow in Silver
index.php?t=getfile&id=16621&private=0

Four Fountains in Silver
index.php?t=getfile&id=16622&private=0

Eight Petal Supported in FUD
index.php?t=getfile&id=16624&private=0

Eight Petal Floating in FUD
index.php?t=getfile&id=16625&private=0

• Attachment: DSC02189.JPG
    (Size: 1.09MB, Downloaded 456 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02187.JPG
    (Size: 1.09MB, Downloaded 425 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02175.JPG
    (Size: 1.10MB, Downloaded 423 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02176.JPG
    (Size: 1.25MB, Downloaded 408 time(s))

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47959 is a reply to message #47880 ] Sun, 06 May 2012 12:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I wanted to post the pictures of the 7th design in the series separately.

In FUD, it's got some white stuff on the edge and one petal on the front and back of the piece. Based on the size of it and it's relationship to the print lines, I think it is from the support material for the cross shape in the centre of the piece, which is raised from the surface of the petals by 0.3mm.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16626&private=0

There are similar, much more subtle marks on the Silver version, I expect from the support material used in creating the cast model. In this photo they run from the cross towards the right all the way to the edge.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16627&private=0

I think I will have to change the .STL file so that the cross is not raised up and is instead depressed into the face, to prevent these marks from ruining the symmetry of the design in FUD.

As for the artefacts I found on some of the other Silver designs, they don't bother me as they appear less mechanical - little surface cracks and tiny raised dots in random places (you can see one in the Silver photo of Four Petals Bound above) that I suppose are from things that happened to the original models before they were cast. They are subtle enough not not ruin the look and I quite like them.

One turned up a bit white on the surface all over though (the one on the left below), and a slightly different texture to its partner. Not sure what exactly this is due to. They make an odd couple. I tried scraping it a bit and the surface underneath is a normal shiny silver.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16628&private=0

• Attachment: DSC02174.JPG
    (Size: 1.13MB, Downloaded 400 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02184.JPG
    (Size: 1.05MB, Downloaded 395 time(s))

• Attachment: DSC02109.JPG
    (Size: 1.01MB, Downloaded 384 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 06 May 2012 22:24 UTC]

Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47968 is a reply to message #47880 ] Sun, 06 May 2012 21:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Great project! I like the idea of using one basic shape with variations so endless combinations can be build.
Did you print it in stainless steel, too?

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47971 is a reply to message #47880 ] Sun, 06 May 2012 22:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've been wearing both a Silver and FUD "Suspended Coin" on a necklace chain today. When I showed it to my friend and passed her the rest on a ribbon to look at, she started layering different ones on top of each other saying how some of them made really good combinations. And she talked about linking them together by their corners with little metal links, which is exactly what I'd like to see people do Smile

She asked if other shapes were possible, like an oval, and I said yep - any design you can draw with a compass and ruler can be easily prototyped in the software I've been using.

As for Stainless Steel, I haven't got them printed in it yet. I modelled them with the highly detailed properties and small minimum wall thickness's of FUD and Silver in mind, so they're too thin with a minimum wall thickness of 0.6mm on the thinnest parts (the white bits on the FUD ones) for Stainless Steel.

I do want to play with Stainless Steel though, it looks lovely in the photos I've seen of others' models printed in it. I think I'd like to try styles that look similar, but with the back and front faces slightly curved or quite curved instead of flat to make the most of the organic feeling of the layering... I suppose I'd have to be careful with the distances between the holes too.

Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47972 is a reply to message #47880 ] Sun, 06 May 2012 23:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Oh, I've just come across the blog post titled "Initial Design rules Stainless Steel 3D Printing." from 2009... having a read through it now to get to know Stainless Steel a bit better.

Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47980 is a reply to message #47972 ] Mon, 07 May 2012 08:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
This might be useful too: Stainless steel: under 3 mm walls

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #47999 is a reply to message #47880 ] Mon, 07 May 2012 15:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you Michael Smile

I think I will try scaling up the depths of the models so that the thinnest 0.6mm parts are 2mm, and the thickest 1.2mm parts are 4mm, and see how that goes.

Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #48281 is a reply to message #47880 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've added a photo of the earrings "in action" to the Four Petal Flower earrings page. The vertical lines are there because my camera is a little bit broken... but I kind of like it. Reminds me of the print lines on the models. That said... I think when I can get my hands on a better camera to play with, I will probably update the photos to clearer, better quality ones.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16829&private=0

Re: 3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD [message #48472 is a reply to message #47880 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 18:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Haha, those lines in the photo actually look very artistic and planned!
Wish I could model my own jewellery but earrings wouldn't look so good on my old mug!

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Triangulated Rings
Next Topic:Stainless Steel pushed to limit