Home » Community » General Discussion » Advice on changing usernames/brand names
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Advice on changing usernames/brand names [message #47711] Tue, 01 May 2012 18:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar AnnaMayaHouse  is currently offline AnnaMayaHouse
Go to all my models
Hey everyone Smile

My first Shapeways order should ship tomorrow (fingers crossed!) and I wanted to ask for advice in the meantime.

I've been using "AnnaMayaHouse" as a "brand" name (term used very loosely) for several years in Second Life. However, now that I'm thinking of selling my models in the real world, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this name.

Problems with my current name:
- It's too long.
- It's not memorable.
- It doesn't make any sense; it's not descriptive. I realize real world brand names are not necessarily descriptive either, but I could come up with so many other names that would better illustrate what my work is about. (I design cute characters and accessories.)

Why I haven't changed my name yet:
- I have accounts on various sites, which would all need changing. Name changes on some sites are problematic. Flickr allows you to change your name for instance, but it doesn't allow you to change the custom URL you've chosen for your account.
- I would need to buy a new domain.
- I would have to start all over in terms of building Google hits. There's quite a few hits for my current name.
- I want to make sure I'm not violating anyone's trademark. Have you guys used any particular websites to verify whether your chosen name is already in use?

I've waited to set up a Shapeways shop, because I'm torn on what I should do. Is there anything you can add to my list of pros and cons? I'd love an outsider's opinion. And to any new designers reading this: think long and hard before you choose a name! Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 01 May 2012 19:40 UTC]

Re: Advice on changing usernames/brand names [message #47714 is a reply to message #47711 ] Tue, 01 May 2012 20:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
If you have a workable name, I like the "use your own name" plan. It's one name that nobody can take away your right to use.

Mine is unspellable and undescriptive, but at least nobody else has it. I tried several others first, but I think I made the right choice in committing to it.

An advantage of an undescriptive name is that later when your work evolves, you're not stuck with a name that no longer describes it accurately. The names I would have chosen for my business 15 years ago would be all wrong now, and there was no way I could have guessed what would happen.

A disadvantage of using your real name is that it's easy to get the business mixed up with other parts of your life: now that my name means my business, I can't use it when socializing online. I don't regret the choice, but it's something I didn't anticipate.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Advice on changing usernames/brand names [message #47895 is a reply to message #47714 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 18:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AnnaMayaHouse  is currently offline AnnaMayaHouse
Go to all my models
Bathsheba wrote on Tue, 01 May 2012 20:26

An advantage of an undescriptive name is that later when your work evolves, you're not stuck with a name that no longer describes it accurately. The names I would have chosen for my business 15 years ago would be all wrong now, and there was no way I could have guessed what would happen.

I honestly hadn't thought about that. I've never really considered changing my style, but I may feel differently in the future. This is definitely something I should consider.
I had a look at your store as well. Your designs are very intricate and delicate! Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 04 May 2012 18:13 UTC]

Previous Topic:WSF and the Material Pages
Next Topic:Changing the wall thickness