Home »  » Bug Reporting » UPDATE DEFAULT RENDERING
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
UPDATE DEFAULT RENDERING [message #47636] Sun, 29 April 2012 18:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
I read somewhere that shapeways uses Blender to churn out the default renderings when you upload a file. if this is true, i would suggest that it is time to update the rendering method that is being used.

blender has been updated a bit and now has a very powerful, fast and accurate render-er called CYCLES. if they are using blender now it would be very easy to implement the use of CYCLES and if nothing else would speed up the process that it takes to upload a model.

chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: UPDATE DEFAULT RENDERING [message #47748 is a reply to message #47636 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 11:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi Chris,

correct - we use Blender:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/404-Shapeways-release s-Blender-rending-files-under-Creative-Commons-License.html

We're aware of Cycles (I run BlenderNation Wink, and better renders are on the wishlist for sure! It's not exactly 'easy' though as we do everything on servers, clouds etc.

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: UPDATE DEFAULT RENDERING [message #47784 is a reply to message #47748 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 23:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
that is what i thought...

i go to blendernation every day so i am well impressed with the information provided there.

if there is anything that i can do to help out i would be willing to offer my services...

chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: UPDATE DEFAULT RENDERING [message #47878 is a reply to message #47784 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 14:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bdickason  is currently offline bdickason
Go to my shop
I work here
christopher lowe wrote on Wed, 02 May 2012 23:49

that is what i thought...

i go to blendernation every day so i am well impressed with the information provided there.

if there is anything that i can do to help out i would be willing to offer my services...

chris

chris,

Thanks for the idea! We're definitely optimizing Blender heavily right now to render quite fast. We're also releasing some improvements in the coming months that should give some nice speed boosts to our model upload process.

Until then, I'll check in with our devs and make sure they've tried out Cycles (though as Bart said, I'm sure he's clued them in as he is a master!) in case it will speed things up.

Director of Product - Shapeways

Previous Topic:New models not showing
Next Topic:3ds to WRL (incl. full color)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.