Home » Community » Work in progress » I've been working on some Bangles and Beads...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I've been working on some Bangles and Beads... [message #47240] Thu, 19 April 2012 20:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Hello! So, I set myself some goals at the start of this month to try to get a set of bangles, beads and rings done. I haven't done the rings yet, but I have managed to work out some bangles and beads:

index.php?t=getfile&id=16220&private=0

The first one [top left] is the chunky style bangle I originally came up with. I quite like it, but then I realise something like that would cost a me LOT if I wanted to have one in silver...

So I started work on a more minimalistic bangle style that would be more affordable [top right].

I've made them both available in silver and FUD in my shop, but I've been thinking about making the bangles available in the cheaper/stronger/coloured materials - but without the decorative squares, and instead find a way to allow the squares in the more detailed [and expensive] materials like Silver or FUD to be sold separately, so people [and me too!] can mix and match and not have to shell out a bucket load for the chunkier versions of the bangle. And also get to play with different colours Very Happy

I have been quite inspired by the ability to snap pieces together, as in electrobloom's jewellery and the iPhone cases that snap multiple colours together Wink Very good ideas.

Oh! And I nearly forgot. I finished modelling the beads today [bottom middle in the picture above], but I haven't uploaded them yet. I still need to check for non-manifold things.

Their bounding boxes are 1cm by 1cm by 1cm each, minimum. Is that too small for Silver or FUD, or is that okay? I was thinking it's okay but I want to ask in case I missed something.

Two opposite faces have the design on, while the other four faces have a 4mm diameter hole going straight through to the other side, to allow different ways of putting thread through them. The design pictured is one I've called "Eight Petal Caught", but I'm thinking of renaming it to "Eight Petal Supported" to remind myself of a goal I have (I want to eventually earn enough money to be able to support myself AND to be able to donate money to Women for Women regularly).

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: I've been working on some Bangles and Beads... [message #47324 is a reply to message #47240 ] Sat, 21 April 2012 18:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChristianA  is currently offline ChristianA
Go to my shop
I work here
I am loving the look of your minimal bangle! It's really simple but really gorgeous. Really accentuates the design and makes it quite elegant.
Re: I've been working on some Bangles and Beads... [message #47398 is a reply to message #47240 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you Smile I actually stumbled across it accidentally when I was blue-tacking cardboard squares and thin bangles together into a different design I was trying out, involving three of the squares holding the thin bangles parallell to each other.

After I'd attached the first square and started preparing the second square, I noticed the opposite side of the top bangle fall down slowly and make contact with the bottom bangle. The shape it made looked really nice, and I actually preferred it to the design I was initially prototyping. Quite a happy accident Smile

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: I've been working on some Bangles and Beads... [message #47402 is a reply to message #47398 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 22:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChristianA  is currently offline ChristianA
Go to my shop
I work here
That's what the process of design is all about!
Re: I've been working on some Bangles and Beads... [message #47808 is a reply to message #47240 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 12:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I did a little searching around and found a video tutorial on how to make a golden material in Blender. The link is here: Realistic Gold Material Tutorial Blender 2.62 (Cycles)

I followed it but changed the colour I used so that it would look less like gold and more like a silver material. Here is a screenshot of the Blender Cycles render of the Four Petal Flower Bangle:

index.php?t=getfile&id=16544&private=0

Re: I've been working on some Bangles and Beads... [message #47809 is a reply to message #47240 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 12:45 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
And here is a back view of the same bangle:

index.php?t=getfile&id=16545&private=0

It generally looks the same as all of the "DiAngled" bangles I've put together, as I've been calling them internally. I'm going to be uploading the renders of the following bangles today as well, so you can have a look at those if you want to. I'll update the list with links once I've updated each one Smile

DiAngled

- Four Petal Flower
- Sixteen Petals
- Suspended Coin
- Eight Petals Crossed
- Four Petal Flow
- Four Fountains
- Four Petals Bound
- Eight Petal Supported
- Eight Petal Floating

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2012 13:12 UTC]

Previous Topic:3 in 1 iPhone 4/4S Stand Case
Next Topic:Matcha teacup