Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Polishing WSF
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Polishing WSF [message #47621] Sat, 28 April 2012 17:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar Malcr001  is currently offline Malcr001
Go to my shop
Ive looked at the topics in this thread and nothing seems to be clear. My model is in WSF (not polished) because my model was too big. How do I polish this matte material? I've spent a lot of time already sanding this thing down using 200/300 sandpaper but nothing is really shiny. What are people doing to get their models polished?

[Updated on: Sat, 28 April 2012 17:06 UTC]

Re: Polishing WSF [message #47633 is a reply to message #47621 ] Sun, 29 April 2012 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Polishing by hand using sand paper doesn't work very well, in my experience. There are always scratch marks left over, and it is hard to reach every spot uniformly. I always use the polished WSF now, all my models are small enough for this. Possibly you can get it done by some company which owns a large vibratory tumbler? This is what Shapeways uses.
Re: Polishing WSF [message #47634 is a reply to message #47633 ] Sun, 29 April 2012 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Malcr001  is currently offline Malcr001
Go to my shop
I doubt I'll be able to find anywhere that will be willing to polish just one item rather than a large number of items. So far I've sanded it down even more so now it smooth and I've just added a layer of resin to fill in the gaps hopefully that will give it a nice and polished look which will show up when the models spray painted.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 April 2012 15:48 UTC]

Re: Polishing WSF [message #47674 is a reply to message #47634 ] Mon, 30 April 2012 15:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Zoe Brain  is currently offline Zoe Brain
Go to all my models
Here's a horribly misprinted model, before and after:

Before:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43438&d=1335781933

After;

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43441&d=1335782185

Technique used:

1. Use a fine-grain metal file. This rids the surface of the artefacts, leaving just a horribly grooved surface. Use a rats-tail file to add some curves if need be.

2. Use an emery board backed with a metal file to make it less rough. First coarse, then fine. This takes a loooooonnnggg time.

3. Use Aeromodelling fine-grain filling putty to cover the surface as thinly as you can.

http://www.hobby-on.com/images/SQU9065.jpg

Then use a flat-bladed craft knife to scrape most off.

4. Paint PVA glue on. Wait one day till dry

5. Repeat sanding with fine emery board. This leaves a finish a lot smoother than unpolished WSF. The putty/PVA mix fills the gaps in the WSF surface quite nicely.

6. Paint with gloss varnish. This will make the surface glassy smooth.

Steps 1 & 2 can be omitted if there are no flaws. Step 2 takes up more time than the rest put together, we're talking several hours for 3-4 cm squared.
Re: Polishing WSF [message #48177 is a reply to message #47674 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 08:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar realdroon  is currently offline realdroon
Go to all my models
I can't seen any pictures, Zoe Brain, And i'd love to see them, sounds like a promising process.

Previous Topic:Anodizing alumide
Next Topic:Help my model cost €7,971.08!!!!!!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.