Home » Community » Introductions » Canadian National Railways in N-Scale (Take 2)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Canadian National Railways in N-Scale (Take 2) [message #47546] Thu, 26 April 2012 18:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar jpsmith63  is currently offline jpsmith63
Go to my shop
I became aware of Shapeways through an article by Rene Gourley in Railway Model Craftsman. My interest is developing N-scale models of Canadian National Railways prototypes in Ontario so will appreciate any techniques and tips re level of detail, etc. that can be printed.

So far I've used the SketchUp to Meshlab method to create STL files for upload. Novice in all respects but, as an engineer, have spent a considerable amount of time using 2D CADD.

My current project is the 150-ton coaling plant at Washago, Ontario, which will be a mixture of Frosted Ultra Detail (metal components) and White, Strong & Flexible (concrete components) with etched brass for the ladders, platforms and coal chute. Received the WS&F parts yesterday and am looking forward to receiving the FUD parts soon!

Jeffrey P. Smith
Lee's Summit, Missouri

If you're interested in the CNR in Ontario then please visit my website:
cnr-in-ontario.com
Re: Canadian National Railways in N-Scale (Take 2) [message #47594 is a reply to message #47546 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Hi Jeffrey;

That sounds great - please post some photos of the coaling tower under 'Work In Progress'.

Scott
Re: Canadian National Railways in N-Scale (Take 2) [message #47601 is a reply to message #47546 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 00:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
I would have done the ladders and chutes in FUD as well. With a twelve thou minimum wall it isn't as good as brass, but with judicious edge thinning it can do a lot of things that can't be done in brass. WSF has too much texture to look like concrete in N in my opinion, and I would have used UD or FUD for that too. Looking forward to seeing photos.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Canadian National Railways in N-Scale (Take 2) [message #47605 is a reply to message #47601 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 04:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jpsmith63  is currently offline jpsmith63
Go to my shop
My first inclination was to make the chute, platforms, ladders, etc. from FUD but thought they'd be too delicate but I'll give it a try.

WSF appears fine (except for the taper on the bin roof) but hard to tell until it's painted. I certainly won't make it from as many parts as I did on this version!

Jeff

[Updated on: Sat, 28 April 2012 04:16 UTC]

Previous Topic:Canadian National Railways in N-Scale
Next Topic:SHOES