Home » Support » 3D Applications » Wrong dimensions in my model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon9.gif  Wrong dimensions in my model [message #47595] Fri, 27 April 2012 21:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar tefa  is currently offline tefa
Go to my shop
Hi!
I made a model using Inventor, with the dimensions I wanted it to be. In the archive containing the model I specified "inch" for the units, and converted it to stl format in order to it could be accepted and uploaded with any problems. Then I uploaded the model to shapeways and I had to choose the units of the model, so I indicated "inch", the units I had been working with.
My problem is that once the model has been correctly uploaded to "my models" the dimensions that are indicated there are not the same that the model really has, they are completly different.
This is the first time I upload a model to Shapeways, so I would thank you a lot to help me, because I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
Re: Wrong dimensions in my model [message #47600 is a reply to message #47595 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 00:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
I wonder if Inventor is doing kind of conversion on output.

May I suggest: in Inventor, create just a simple cube that is 1 inch on each side. Upload that to your shop and see what it comes up with. If the dimensions are still wrong, then post the STL here in the forum so that others can take a look at it.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Wrong dimensions in my model [message #47611 is a reply to message #47600 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 11:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here you have the 1 inch cube with the stl extension Smile

Re: Wrong dimensions in my model [message #47612 is a reply to message #47600 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 11:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
And also the one created with Inventor, before converting it to stl.

Re: Wrong dimensions in my model [message #47613 is a reply to message #47600 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 11:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
When I uploaded the 1 inch cube, wich I'm sure it was made as 1 inch cube, I observed that in the dimensions were indicated the following: "in: 2.5 w x 2.5 d x 2.5 h" and "cm: 6.46 w x 6.46 d x 6.46 h"
We know 1 inch is 2.5 cm, but there it indicates that it is a 2.5 inch cube, and that is what I can't understand...
If I don't know the reason why this happens, the only solution I find is to make my model in Inventor using a scale of -2.5, or maby trying to use another cad program and see if then this doesn't happen.
Re: Wrong dimensions in my model [message #47615 is a reply to message #47613 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 13:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Again, I know nothing about Inventor, but.. it's failry obvious that it is writing the file in Centimeter units instead of inches or millimeters.

There's a very simple fix for this.. load the STL into Netfabb (free) and use the SCALE operation to multiply the size by 10, then upload it to Shapeways, picking "millimeters" for the upload units.

It wouldn't hurt to toss a suggestion onto http://feedback.shapeways.com for them to have centimeters as an upload option.

[Updated on: Sat, 28 April 2012 13:48 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Wrong dimensions in my model [message #47947 is a reply to message #47615 ] Sun, 06 May 2012 02:44 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks for your answer.
In fact, it seems inventor makes some conversion and the .stl file is not the same dimensions as the one I made. It seems like the model has been applied a 0.1 factor scale, at least this is what has happend with my model.
So I have used netfabb, as you suggested to me, scaled the stl file (with a 10 factor), and now the model I uploaded to shapeways has the correct dimensions.

Previous Topic:does solidworks have a feature to measure total volume of a model??
Next Topic:Download ParaCloud iRing 3D for Ipad

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.