Home » Community » Work in progress » Horse rearing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Horse rearing [message #47292] Fri, 20 April 2012 22:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar steffiera  is currently offline steffiera
Go to my shop
Hey this is my first day on this site so i want to show you my work.
This is my first model up on this site Very Happy more info on page
please take a look i would truly appreciate it Smile

http://www.shapeways.com/model/546043/horse-rearing.html

Re: Horse rearing [message #47397 is a reply to message #47292 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 20:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Nice work. Is it hollow at all?

At first I wondered if it would stay upright better without being propped up if it had it's own plinth, but then I had another idea that wouldn't mean adding extra material, and would actually make it use up less material:

If you hollowed out the front half of the horse so that it was lighter than the back half, then the center of gravity would be pushed back and down to somewhere in between the back hooves and the tail, preventing it from overbalancing forward.

What do you think? You would have to find somewhere inconspicuous to put a hole in to let the material out, but it might be worth the effort Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 23 April 2012 20:08 UTC]

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: Horse rearing [message #47433 is a reply to message #47397 ] Tue, 24 April 2012 20:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar steffiera  is currently offline steffiera
Go to my shop
thanks for your feedback Smile No its not hollow. I made it using sculptris and i'm not sure if it's possible to hollow out models using this software. I love your idea though! I'm pretty sure that hollowing out the top of the model would make it stand. I will need to consider this in my future models. Thanks again!
Re: Horse rearing [message #47471 is a reply to message #47292 ] Wed, 25 April 2012 12:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
As far as I know you can't hollow in sculptris. I open it in blender to hollow it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Horse rearing [message #47560 is a reply to message #47471 ] Thu, 26 April 2012 23:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GryphRaptor  is currently offline GryphRaptor
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 25 April 2012 12:43

As far as I know you can't hollow in sculptris. I open it in blender to hollow it.

I just started on a similar project, and am wondering what steps you use in Blender to hollow a model out? Are there any other steps that need to take place before hollowing a model from Scupltris out? I tend to use multiple starter spheres for different parts of my models, so one thing I'm worried about is when I export a model from Sculptris to Blender, does the model need to be made into one single piece, I'm assuming that all the overlapping pieces of spheres remain on the inside of the model, unseen.

Previous Topic:Common ivy leaf - feedback appreciated
Next Topic:Spiral Theatre 3D Model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.