Home » Support » 3D Printing » Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways [message #47317] Sat, 21 April 2012 15:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar akwhitacre  is currently offline akwhitacre
Go to all my models
Hi all,

I'm a first-timer whose learned a lot from these forums (especially the generous advice from denali3designs) and other sites. So I have what might be my last two hurdles to printing:

1. When I submit my color VRML or X3D (exported from Sketchup Pro, via Meshlab) to Shapeways, it's indeed uploaded, but the color information is discarded. It's a single color; it shows up properly in Sketchup, Meshlab, and the file exported from Meshlab; but when it is uploaded to Shapeways, it shows up as gray.

Any thoughts on why/how that happens?

2. That gray uploaded file: it's a pretty small model, but the cost for the cheapest material is still over $100. Similar-sized color models in others' stores are only $10-$20.

What are a couple reasons that might be happening?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Re: Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways [message #47318 is a reply to message #47317 ] Sat, 21 April 2012 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The pricing difference that you're seeing is probably because the other models are hollow.

With the colour issue, there could be one of a few reasons.
1. The wrong type of image file. (jpg or png only)
2. The image file isn't in the zipped folder.
3. The file path in the model file is wrong - see 2.5 - using a text editor - [edit] the file path should be truncated to the file name only as it is in the same folder.

If your model is coloured using face or vertex colouring, let me know and I can help with that too Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 21 April 2012 16:01 UTC]

Re: Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways [message #47391 is a reply to message #47318 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 19:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks, stop4stuff. I just uploaded my first (crazy-basic) color model! http://www.shapeways.com/model/548768/9662866d516ef45429ddab d417604b49
Re: Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways [message #47394 is a reply to message #47391 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 19:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You've got the model set to Private and others can't see it.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways [message #47396 is a reply to message #47317 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 20:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ah, thanks. Public now:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/edit/548768/
Re: Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways [message #47399 is a reply to message #47396 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 20:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That worked. Your model should price out at around $160.00

It's nearly a centimeter thick, and 20x15cm.. that's 300cm3 of material.

If that is too expensive, depending upon what it's used for, you could "cut holes" thru it .. make it a lattice structure instead and drop out 3/4 or more of the material. It doesn't look like hollowing would be a good idea for this model, and that would only save you about 1/3 of the price.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Larger than max size
Next Topic:Steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.