Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The Omni [message #47370] Mon, 23 April 2012 12:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The Omni

index.php?t=getfile&id=16331&private=0

A one piece model featuring three tendons that should bend the tip in any direction by pulling on the rings.

Absolutly no intended purpose other than to just see if it works. Rolling Eyes

Paul

Re: The Omni [message #47374 is a reply to message #47370 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bradykineticcuriosities  is currently offline bradykineticcuriosities
Go to my shop
Looks like a fun concept!

I wonder if would be strong enough to grip something...

[Updated on: Mon, 23 April 2012 13:31 UTC]

www.bradykineticcuriosities.com A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Re: The Omni [message #47380 is a reply to message #47374 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 14:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I doubt a single 'digit' would grip anything Laughing

The idea for The Omni sort of came from THE ROBOT WORKING MODEL HAND. It would be entirely possible to make a three fingered hand with one 'tendon' per digit using the same technique, but that has function and has been done before.

The Omni is pretty much a useless and possibly functionable model Confused

Paul

Re: The Omni [message #47454 is a reply to message #47380 ] Wed, 25 April 2012 05:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AyeJayCee  is currently offline AyeJayCee
Go to my shop
Sir, I think you just unwittingly explained the mechanics of a tentacle! Very Happy
it's a pretty amazing concept, being able to make a self contained "thing" move in any direction you want, I can imagine a series of these with tiny servos at the end of each module making a robotic tentacle, would be amazingly useful in search and rescue operations such as searching through rubble or inside caves with tiny entrances Razz
Re: The Omni [message #47568 is a reply to message #47370 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 09:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
have you thought of using nitinol?.. its a memory wire that can bend to a shape when a current is passed through it, rather than using servos.
Re: The Omni [message #47569 is a reply to message #47568 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 10:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
But memory wire gets hot when working....

Bill Bedford
Re: The Omni [message #47570 is a reply to message #47569 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 10:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
BillBedford wrote on Fri, 27 April 2012 10:00

But memory wire gets hot when working....

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon14.gif - heat is why memory wire works.

Personally for actuators, I favour air muscles Smile
Re: The Omni [message #47606 is a reply to message #47570 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 05:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
fair enough:)... i have seen a little remote control plane that used nitinol, how hot does it get?
Re: The Omni [message #47609 is a reply to message #47606 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 09:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
It's not the absolute temperature that is important, it is the temperature of the wire relative to the encasing plastic. WSF will be able to deal with a much hotter wire that, say, any of coloured detail.

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:Custom Submarine Model
Next Topic:contacting shapeways via telephone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.