Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Painting WSF
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Painting WSF [message #46132] Thu, 29 March 2012 13:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar wondercat  is currently offline wondercat
Go to my shop
I received my first WSF model. I'm new to this and I'm not sure how to go about painting it since the surface is so bumpy.
I've heard I should just layer on lots of paint, or try sanding.
I was hoping someone who's actually done this could give some advice.
Re: Painting WSF [message #47362 is a reply to message #46132 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 06:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Zoe Brain  is currently offline Zoe Brain
Go to all my models
The best possible surface is produced by first using an ultra-thin coat of white putty:

http://mfpilot.com/ebaypics/WhitePutty.jpg

Followed by very fine sanding with an Emory board, until almost all the putty is removed, so it fills in the gaps.

Then a coat of dilute PVA glue (to seal it), more sanding, then it's ready to paint.

If there is ultra-fine detail, just use 2-3 coats of dilute PVA glue, a very very light sand, then several coats of paint.
Re: Painting WSF [message #71886 is a reply to message #47362 ] Fri, 19 July 2013 23:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar WorldWiz  is currently offline WorldWiz
Go to my shop
Is using White Putty highly preferable over something like Liquid Fiberglass Resin? Thanks.

Previous Topic:Thinnly Waxing SWF-Printed Screw?
Next Topic:Polishing Methods for WSF

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.