Home » Community » General Discussion » Low cost high res affordable hobby printer...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Low cost high res affordable hobby printer... [message #46991] Sat, 14 April 2012 17:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar decepticon1313  is currently offline decepticon1313
Go to my shop
Thought I'd share:
http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter

Considering that the most affordable retail DLP printer costs over 8 times as much as the full kit this is a heck of a deal.
Re: Low cost high res affordable hobby printer... [message #47022 is a reply to message #46991 ] Sun, 15 April 2012 09:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Looks very promising. Would be very glad to have one of this for prototyping.

What's really very interesting:
- the surface and granularity looks rather smooth
- it's using resin
- resin can be used in a colored form

Bringing me back to the discussion at shapeways with resin.
Any news from shapeways side?

Woody64
Re: Low cost high res affordable hobby printer... [message #47040 is a reply to message #46991 ] Sun, 15 April 2012 23:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Veloso took so much time others are catching up, and going for cheaper targets.

http://www.miicraft.com/
http://code.google.com/p/lemoncurry/wiki/main
Re: Low cost high res affordable hobby printer... [message #47193 is a reply to message #47040 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 22:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tamert  is currently offline Tamert
Go to all my models
This approach is patented and currently marketed by a number of machine producers. I can't foresee these making it to market. Also, a lot of the features offered by the more expensive existing printers revolve around lifecycle management of the vats/equipment. You would be amazed at how many things go wrong with approach unless you have the right controls in place.
Re: Low cost high res affordable hobby printer... [message #47297 is a reply to message #47193 ] Sat, 21 April 2012 00:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
The resolution is awesome, but the resin is ridiculously expensive. I'm holding off of this until the Reprap community has a chance to genuinely open source this sort of technology.
DLP printer handling is already in the latest open source slicers, but the hardware spec is wide open right now. At the moment, you'd need to be careful with Junior's printer to avoid the 'suction effect' and/or have too-heavy models fail in printing.
I don't think it'll be too long before resin passes up filament in hobby printing popularity, though.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 April 2012 00:49 UTC]

Previous Topic:EVA Foam
Next Topic:»You & Me« - Eternal Love

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.