Home » Community » It arrived! » it arrived in Sinter Boxes !
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #42443] Sat, 21 January 2012 16:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
I've heard that Shapeway's often put boxes round things that contain multiple parts but was quite surprised when my latest with the stuff still inside the boxes !

index.php?t=getfile&id=13692&private=0

The box consists of a 2mm square section of WSF on 16.5 mm centrers with a label on one side showing the order details.

index.php?t=getfile&id=13698&private=0

Subsequently got an email from Nancy to say this was something they are testing to avoid parts getting lost in processing and packing. Seems like a fun idea to me, now all I need to do is workout what I can use these boxes for....

Tom

• Attachment: IMG_7209.JPG
    (Size: 340.51KB, Downloaded 767 time(s))

icon12.gif  Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #42453 is a reply to message #42443 ] Sat, 21 January 2012 18:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
so.... what's the stuff?
Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #42466 is a reply to message #42443 ] Sat, 21 January 2012 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Interesting. Can you tell us the dimensions of the boxes and maybe show the original parts? I know Magics has this auto-generated box function, but I am wondering how efficient it is. Did you nest the parts yourself or just order multiple copies?

I'm also wondering how the grid size is chosen. Just using a minimum bounding box would not guarantee pieces can't escape so it's a tough problem, mathematically. The bars seem thick, too. I'll just have to order some little parts and examine one for myself.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #42486 is a reply to message #42466 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 08:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The size of the boxes varies to fit the items it contains - typical size for my items is 50 x 70 x 140 mm.

They are from STL that contain multiple duplicates of the same item - the bulk packs for my own use which I then dye, breakdown into pairs and sell in my Ebay store. They are Model Railroad trucks(bogies), this is one of them.

index.php?t=getfile&id=13734&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_7216.JPG
    (Size: 318.41KB, Downloaded 681 time(s))

Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #42490 is a reply to message #42486 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 11:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Cool, wouldn't that solve the multiple parts problem.

x parts of the same material (to be defined by shapeways) can be combined in a sinter box thus reducing the handling fee but adding some material costs (for the sinter).

also the puzzle problem would be solveable in that way.

also a possibility would be to allow a model ordered x times. the price is then automatically calculated:
1x handling fee + n x model volume price + sinter box price

woody64
Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #42500 is a reply to message #42490 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 17:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
Woody, it sound easy the way you tell it Very Happy

unfortunately, normally we open the sinter boxes as it's very difficult to clean the models.
As for Tebee his models, these aren't very complicated, and easy to clean (compressed air)

but with very difficult structures, you will always have to open the sinter box to clean the models and remove the excessive powder.
Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #42635 is a reply to message #42500 ] Tue, 24 January 2012 04:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah ! so my stuff is simple and easy to clean - does that mean next time I print it I can negotiate a discount ? Twisted Evil
Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #46766 is a reply to message #42443 ] Tue, 10 April 2012 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Bump, what is the result of this test? Will it become the norm?
Re: it arrived in Sinter Boxes ! [message #46900 is a reply to message #42635 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 23:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
ha, design your own boxes and make the most of the density discount..

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways

Previous Topic:Steampunk Crusader
Next Topic:Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife