Home » Support » 3D Printing » FUD - does it degrade in UV light ?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
FUD - does it degrade in UV light ? [message #46725] Tue, 10 April 2012 13:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
I was reading one of my model railway forums and came across a comment that "Shapeways FUD is also UV sensitive, and can degrade over time, though paint can help protect it "

Now this was not my understanding , I thought UV light was used to cure it, but that further exposure to UV light, as in sunlight, would not affect it?

Can someone with more detailed knowledge please confirm one way or the other ? If he's wrong I'd like to correct him, but I want to be sure of my facts first.

Tom
Re: FUD - does it degrade in UV light ? [message #46729 is a reply to message #46725 ] Tue, 10 April 2012 14:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Not sure, but I'll see if I can't find out!

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: FUD - does it degrade in UV light ? [message #46732 is a reply to message #46729 ] Tue, 10 April 2012 15:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
I think the general answer is along the lines of 'No more than the Urethane resins than are commonly used.'

Bill Bedford
Re: FUD - does it degrade in UV light ? [message #46807 is a reply to message #46725 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 14:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Well the official answer is:

FUD cures with UV light, so even after we ship it, extra UV exposure will keep curing it--although the effects are slight. However, it will continue to get stiffer (also more brittle), and start to yellow slightly.

Also I'm moving this to the 3D printing support section.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: FUD - does it degrade in UV light ? [message #46820 is a reply to message #46807 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 19:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
So we are saying it does degrade ? - eventually it will get brittle and break easily.

So how long have all out FUD masterpieces got? Are we taking years or decades ?

Still I suppose it means they will be rarer in the future..........

Tom

Re: FUD - does it degrade in UV light ? [message #46822 is a reply to message #46820 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Just think of it as built-in obsolescence Wink

Bill Bedford
Re: FUD - does it degrade in UV light ? [message #46824 is a reply to message #46807 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 19:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 11 April 2012 14:42

Well the official answer is:

FUD cures with UV light, so even after we ship it, extra UV exposure will keep curing it--although the effects are slight. However, it will continue to get stiffer (also more brittle), and start to yellow slightly.

Also I'm moving this to the 3D printing support section.

I have some UV LEDs and FUD models. Any idea what wavelength would cause the most degredation? I'm all up for testing if my LEDs are right (I'll have to check what wavelength my LEDs are though)

Previous Topic:Printing a Wax model
Next Topic:Polygon limit

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.