Home » Community » It arrived! » rocket sparrow mk1
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46806] Wed, 11 April 2012 13:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
happy with the print and a perfect fit for the engine... though the fins got a bit bent in transit, they will just take a bit of bending to get back to shape... rocket still untested in flight, hopefully in next day or two

index.php?t=getfile&id=16057&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16058&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16059&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16060&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=16061&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_1361.jpg
    (Size: 351.46KB, Downloaded 894 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_1366.jpg
    (Size: 344.30KB, Downloaded 797 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_1368.jpg
    (Size: 354.99KB, Downloaded 815 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_1370.jpg
    (Size: 320.13KB, Downloaded 817 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_1371.jpg
    (Size: 337.54KB, Downloaded 805 time(s))

Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46808 is a reply to message #46806 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar damocles  is currently offline damocles
Go to all my models
Fly, little bird!
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46810 is a reply to message #46808 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
SO COOOL

Please upload video of flight

Duann Scott,
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46844 is a reply to message #46806 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 04:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yes i will be launching tomorrow morning, weather permitting, and taking HD video at 60fps with a shutter speed as fast as i can get it (prob bout 2000th of a second)... and HOPEFULLY i will be able to retrieve the rocket and launch again.
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46914 is a reply to message #46844 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 03:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar arklan  is currently offline arklan
Go to my shop
yoinks, and away!! Very Happy
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46962 is a reply to message #46806 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
Did you launch it yet?

What do you have in there for the core? I want to try one too. Smile
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46970 is a reply to message #46844 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 22:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar venuspresident  is currently offline venuspresident
Go to my shop
Hi Leo,

Your model concept looks great. I think it will fly just fine as designed. The motor retention mechanism is a stroke of genius. I love how the action clips the motor in one configuration and releases when sprung in the other.

Your fins seem a bit on the thin side at 1mm but I also see the reinforcements about mid-chord to keep them from flexing. You might want to move them towards the front, or leading edge, on your next iteration to put the thinner section in the slipstream.

I'm really curious how the model performs and how it handles the temperatures associated with the Estes motors. Please keep us updated!

Nice project!

Regards,

Mark
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46971 is a reply to message #46970 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 22:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Leo,

By the way, as I was just looking at the pictures once again, you could design in a ring on the tips of the model to keep the fins from bending/flexing during transit from Shapeways to you. That ring will also help reduce flutter of each fin as it passes through the velocity gradient from zero to maximum velocity to ejection.

Just a thought!

Regards,

Mark
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #46974 is a reply to message #46806 ] Sat, 14 April 2012 01:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey guys.
No I have not launched yet, though I think i have found a nice spot (thanks to google earth that i wont loose the rocket after launch hopefully) and will definitely launch this weekend.

Yes for my next print i will either use the ring thing to hold the fins in the correct position for transport or have the fins separate and glue them to the body.

after the first flight i will make changes to the rocket as needed, though at $15 a print i wouldn't really be happy adding more material.

@Mary, u can buy the rocket engines at your local hobby store in many sizes:)
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47017 is a reply to message #46806 ] Sun, 15 April 2012 04:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
LAUNCHED.

first flight went well, though it did get a little melted, and broken on landing. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfWyAPW-f8c&feature=youtu .be
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47030 is a reply to message #47017 ] Sun, 15 April 2012 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Leo,

Nice flight. That first boost looked pretty straight and true.

What are your plans for the next iteration?

Was the damage to the slotted body due to impact and what was the thickness of those parts?

Nice attempt and certainly an interesting project, since I am a model rocketry nut.

Congrats!

Mark
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47041 is a reply to message #46806 ] Sun, 15 April 2012 23:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Part of the damage was due to the expansion of the engine when it heats up (the fit may have been a bit snug), i believe the fin break was on landing, and a small section near the cone was melted on ejection. All of these problems will be addressed in the next version:)
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47064 is a reply to message #46806 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 13:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I was worried about your locking mechanism melting. Perhaps some flame resistant coating?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47069 is a reply to message #47064 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 15:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
awesome...

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1311-3D-Printed-Rocke t-Sparrow-Takes-Flight-Video.html

Duann Scott,
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47224 is a reply to message #47069 ] Thu, 19 April 2012 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
You should try this in polished alumide, more heat resistant, smoother so less friction..

Where are you based.

Duann Scott,
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47242 is a reply to message #46806 ] Fri, 20 April 2012 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Duann:)

I might try the alumide next time.

I'm based in Perth, Western Australia.
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47245 is a reply to message #47242 ] Fri, 20 April 2012 02:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Maybe you should change the design a bit, the sharp corners in the side "windows" are a bad idea, for example. Any transition should be smooth to avoid stress points. If heat is still a problem after reinforcement, do some kind of insulation at the problematic zones, using other material but keeping the fins and top in WSF.

As for roughness... sharks and other animals have rough skin, because it works reducing drag. Golf balls have small dots, instead of being smooth, to fly more. Who knows, maybe this is another case where non obvious is better. Rough cone and smooth body? Selective smoothing? ^_^
Re: rocket sparrow mk1 [message #47246 is a reply to message #46806 ] Fri, 20 April 2012 03:59 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Hi Stannum.
Yes i had considered the roughness causing micro vortexes, as the windows with hard edges would do the same, reducing drag at the rear on the rocket.. much as a Ute (or pickup in american) creates a pocket of swirling air near the rear of the car and reduced drag (as proven on Mythbuster), not sure if its the same on the rocket, but seem right:S... though i will probably taper windows for next build.

Maybe i should use two materials, one for the body and one for the fins and nose cone... Alumide for the body as it has a greater heat tolerance.

The main aim was to have it as cheap as possible, and use bare minimum materials, so anything i add will mean subtracting material elsewhere....

my original idea was to just have a nose and fins that connect to the engine and nothing joining the two, but that seemed difficult to design.

Previous Topic:Scale-sized HO switchstand
Next Topic:Order in the Bathroom

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.