Home » Support » 3D Printing » Should I smooth this out first?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Should I smooth this out first? [message #46609] Fri, 06 April 2012 23:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar Moosh89  is currently offline Moosh89
Go to my shop
Hi, I made another ring, but I forgot to add a subsurf modifier before adding all the details that I want to keep sharp... Not a big deal, but just made more tedious work for myself now that I kinda get how to fix non-manifold edges...

Anyway, here it is, it looks pretty "blocky" in the shapeways preview, compared to my first ring, which I did apply the subsurf modifier to before I did all the detailing, which looks nice and smooth.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/530962/aliens__colonial_marin es_ring_sz_4_5.html?key=a558758dfae3f7de69fe58d803cad029

My question is, if I ordered this ring as is, in stainless steel, would it come looking all blocky?

Thanks
Re: Should I smooth this out first? [message #46626 is a reply to message #46609 ] Sat, 07 April 2012 09:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The chances are that you would see some faceting in the finished print, it depends how much of a polishing the item gets (which might not be a lot considering the detail on the face of the ring.) To be on the safe side, I'd go with faces about half the size.

Re: Should I smooth this out first? [message #46635 is a reply to message #46626 ] Sat, 07 April 2012 16:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Moosh89  is currently offline Moosh89
Go to my shop
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated Smile

Previous Topic:Printing neon parts out of glass?
Next Topic:Scientific name for Frosted Detail/Ultra Detail