Home » Support » 3D Design » Help with Cad to Shapeways Workflow
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help with Cad to Shapeways Workflow [message #46613] Sat, 07 April 2012 00:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar bcdal  is currently offline bcdal
Go to all my models
I am trying to create a 3D shape to uplaod to shapeways. I am comfortable drawing in Microstation, so I started to compile the shape there. Now I am would like to determine the best way to get from .dgn format to something shapeways can print.

The attached .dgn is in progress, and just the beginning of the part I am trying to "machine". I wanted to pause and see if I could have some success transitioning to shapeways before I proceed much further using cad as my design platform.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

• Attachment: Tab3d.dgn
    (Size: 186.00KB, Downloaded 22 time(s))

Re: Help with Cad to Shapeways Workflow [message #46616 is a reply to message #46613 ] Sat, 07 April 2012 02:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar damocles  is currently offline damocles
Go to all my models
It looks like .DGN is the program's CAD format. You need to export a (supported) mesh format. The Microstation help docs claim that you should be able to save to STL, which is good for anything except Color Sandstone.

Quote:

After selecting an element (or selection set), opens the Save As Stereolithography File dialog. By default, Files of type is set to STL files (*.stl). The controls in this dialog are analogous to those in the Save As dialog

Clicking Save opens the Export STL dialog, which is used to adjust the settings for exporting the STL file.

This item is dimmed if the active model is not 3D.

Previous Topic:Tell me what's wrong with my model, maybe?
Next Topic:Why does this look so bad?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.