Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46088] Wed, 28 March 2012 16:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar schneidw  is currently offline schneidw
Go to all my models
Hello Shapewayers,
I thought I should also present my recently finished 3d construction and share my excitement with you.
The model is one of the famous Garratt-type steamengines delivered to the Chemins de fer Algériens bevor WWII. It's not only in reality an impressive beast but also as a model in H0 scale. It's length in 1:87 is a stunning 338 mm (more than 1 foot!).
I've made some interesting experience specifically concerning smoothing and painting of the different surfaces.
Hope you enjoy the pics.

Werner
index.php?t=getfile&id=15683&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=15681&private=0

• Attachment: HPIM2063w.jpg
    (Size: 654.87KB, Downloaded 826 time(s))

• Attachment: HPIM2044w.JPG
    (Size: 620.48KB, Downloaded 792 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2012 16:34 UTC]

Re: H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46185 is a reply to message #46088 ] Fri, 30 March 2012 13:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CMalagrino  is currently offline CMalagrino
Go to all my models
Great work. All the pieces were 3d-printed?
Re: H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46194 is a reply to message #46185 ] Fri, 30 March 2012 15:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi,
Certainly not. Wheels, buffers and some small parts like handrail knobs, etc, are available from model trains shops. The whole drive system with all the rods, levers and other fixed and moving parts were photoetched in 0.5mm nickelsilver. So, 3d printed parts are only few but of course very important anyway.
Thanks for your inquiry. Werner

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 15:31 UTC]

Re: H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46202 is a reply to message #46194 ] Fri, 30 March 2012 18:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CMalagrino  is currently offline CMalagrino
Go to all my models
A great job anyway, Werner.
Congratulations.
Re: H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46246 is a reply to message #46088 ] Sat, 31 March 2012 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jzichek  is currently offline jzichek
Go to all my models
That is incredible! I am curious as to how much extra finishing was necessary to remove the layering and achieve a uniformly smooth surface. I'd like to see an in-depth build of the vehicle, if you photographed the different stages of the process. It's one of the best looking scale models I've seen here on Shapeways and a great inspiration to modelers of all genres.

Again, bravo! I am not a train hobbyist, but this is an impressive achievement.

-Jared

[Updated on: Sat, 31 March 2012 21:47 UTC]

Re: H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46314 is a reply to message #46246 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 12:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Chassoz  is currently offline Chassoz
Go to all my models
Werner,
A lovely, exzquisite, piece of modelling.

I'd love to see a Victorian Railways / Puffing Billy G Class Beyer Garratt 2-6-0+0-6-2 in HOn30 - HO scale to run on 9MM track.....
< http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/Puffing_Billy_G42_100_ years_of_garratts.html>
Any one interested?
Chassoz.
Re: H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46539 is a reply to message #46246 ] Thu, 05 April 2012 17:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Jared,
Thank you so much for your encouraging comments.
I had the parts printed in FD and FUD when SW faced serious problems with FD/FUD printing. I had to buy an ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of all the wax and other white stuff on the surface. After that step I used a glassfibre pen to smooth and soften the parts. Worked quite well and since there are not so many details to take care of I managed to get a nice surface. Applying a layer of primer, 2 layers of color paint and one layer of matte laquer gave such a good result that you can't see any difference between this model and a mass produced commercially available one.
In an earlier release of your message you raised the question about preparing a kit. No, I'm not going to issue a kit because this would become too cumbersome. Pushing all the 3rd party suppliers from several countries to deliver the various parts and the uncertain quality of SW printed items (think of print orientation!) plus the enormous effort to set up an instruction manual for the assembly of the kit, makes selling kits a non-profit adventure.
And lastly, since this is a one of a kind model I didn't document the building process with pictures. I'm sorry for that...
Werner
Re: H0 scale Beyer-Garratt CFA 231-132 BT1 [message #46540 is a reply to message #46314 ] Thu, 05 April 2012 17:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Hello Chassoz,
I enjoyed the Puffing Billy site.
If you want to build this Garratt I recommend to use cradles from the model trains market place. 3d print only the front, middle and rear shell above the chassis. With this approach you can avoid a lot of headache..
Werner

Previous Topic:pixels here! not just another iphone case
Next Topic:LEGO Minifigure

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.