Home »  » 3D Design » Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #46483] Wed, 04 April 2012 21:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar PopeDesign  is currently offline PopeDesign
Go to my shop
Hi Everybody,

I think I posted this in the wrong place so I'll try posting it here.

Quick question, besides using crazy glue or epoxy, are there any other good options for gluing together Frosted Ultra Detail parts? What about model cement from Testers (for styrene and ABS plastic kit models)? Or how about "welding" liquid styrene glues that can be applied with a syringe that basically melt parts together?

Also, has anyone had any luck with using primers on Frosted Ultra Detail parts? If so, what has worked without melting the material? Same question for paints in general.

Thanks,

-Jon

-Jon Pope

Re: Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #46492 is a reply to message #46483 ] Wed, 04 April 2012 23:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
You need to look for a glue that will adhere to acrylics.

I use standard car primers, in rattle cans, on FUD.

Bill Bedford
Re: Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #46498 is a reply to message #46492 ] Thu, 05 April 2012 00:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Great! thanks Bill.

-Jon Pope

Re: Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #46499 is a reply to message #46492 ] Thu, 05 April 2012 00:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
I use ACC, but if you want something faster and/or thinner then MEK would probably work fine. I use airbrushed enamel paints from Floquil, which do not need any primers to cover well. The most difficult thing is getting the oil and leftover wax out of the print.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #46502 is a reply to message #46499 ] Thu, 05 April 2012 02:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Johnny. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner like you suggested ($24 on E-bay, got to like that) and I've used your method of isopropyl alcohol which seems to work great. i have also tried Dawn in a 50/50 mix of hot water in the ultrasonic cleaner and it seems to clean just as well with less "frosting" or turning the parts white. But I guess the true guess is when I try airbrushing some paint on and see if it actually sticks...

-Jon Pope

Re: Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #47593 is a reply to message #46502 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 20:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Giga Bread  is currently offline Giga Bread
Go to my shop
I use Mr.Surfacer 1000 for priming.
Re: Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #47604 is a reply to message #47593 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 02:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the info Giga. I'm working in Z scale and have parting lines that are 0.15 mm wide by about 0.5 mm deep. Do you think Mr.Surfacer 1000 will clog them up? I notice they have Mr.Surfacer 1200 with finer filler particles. Have you ever used that?

Thanks again,

-Jon

-Jon Pope

Re: Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts? [message #47607 is a reply to message #47604 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 06:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Giga Bread  is currently offline Giga Bread
Go to my shop
I actually just received the 1200 in the mail this week but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I do a lot of pieces for action figures and the 1000 works great on the FUD pieces and the soft cast plastics that normally don't bond well with most plastics. I'll do a test on the 1200 sitting on my shelf and let you know how it does.

PopeDesign wrote on Sat, 28 April 2012 02:41

Thanks for the info Giga. I'm working in Z scale and have parting lines that are 0.15 mm wide by about 0.5 mm deep. Do you think Mr.Surfacer 1000 will clog them up? I notice they have Mr.Surfacer 1200 with finer filler particles. Have you ever used that?

Thanks again,

-Jon

[Updated on: Sat, 28 April 2012 06:07 UTC]

Previous Topic:Advice: Material/finish for car badge
Next Topic:Resizing model options

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.