Home » Community » Work in progress » Raspberry Pi & Custard
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45107] Thu, 08 March 2012 22:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Luma3Dprint  is currently offline Luma3Dprint
Go to my shop
Hey Guy's,

Please let me know your thoughts on my "Custard Case" design. I tried to keep all the outputs flush with the case and come up with something a little different.

index.php?t=getfile&id=15181&private=0

A scaled A4 printout can be found here.

Cheers,
Mark

Twitter: @FusionMark

[Updated on: Thu, 08 March 2012 23:00 UTC]

Website: www.luma3dprint.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/Luma3Dprint Twitter: @Luma3Dprint Instagram: Instagram.com/Luma3dprint
Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45109 is a reply to message #45107 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 00:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Now, that I like...

I wonder what it would look like if you continued the curve on around to the sides of the box as well.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45112 is a reply to message #45107 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 02:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChristianA  is currently offline ChristianA
Go to my shop
I work here
Looks great - and really stylish too!
Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45122 is a reply to message #45112 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks guys. The cover and base models can now be purchased from "My Models."

I would like to add two snap fits onto the cover part and I can't find info on the LED positions so that might need adjusting. (There is no lightpipe, simply a recessed cutout to keep costs down).

If you would like me to make your own design, please get in touch on my website; www.fusionweld.com

Website: www.luma3dprint.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/Luma3Dprint Twitter: @Luma3Dprint Instagram: Instagram.com/Luma3dprint
Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45124 is a reply to message #45122 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 10:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Looks great!

The LED positions are in the upper right of the image - D5 to D9.

index.php?t=getfile&id=15194&private=0

Paul

Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45125 is a reply to message #45124 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 11:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Paul,

Great! Thanks for that, I will add that as texture onto the Solidworks PCB model and get that lined up perfectly!

What are peoples thoughts on no light pipe, and simply exposing the LED's via a recessed cutout?

Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45127 is a reply to message #45125 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 11:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Here's the reverse of the board. I forgot to mention that it is the beta board, so things might be a bit different on the production version.
index.php?t=getfile&id=15195&private=0

As for light guides, yes, a good idea - personally I'm waiting 'til I can get my hands on one before I commit to a model sale as I'm going to try domething a little different for the light guides.

Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45165 is a reply to message #45127 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the updated PCB images. I placed them onto the PCB as "decals" in Solidworks and located the LED's with no issues.

The case design has been updated and should work really well. It has four light snap features on the cover that snap over the base.

Both parts can be purchased now from here!

[Updated on: Mon, 12 March 2012 19:14 UTC]

Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45368 is a reply to message #45165 ] Mon, 12 March 2012 18:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey Guy's,

For some reason the last image didn't upload correctly. I hope this works OK!

index.php?t=getfile&id=15279&private=0

Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45400 is a reply to message #45368 ] Tue, 13 March 2012 09:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
And finally here is a YouTube clip showing the CAD model in more detail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M -1SqyhgPq8

best case Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #45839 is a reply to message #45400 ] Thu, 22 March 2012 16:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Alain  is currently offline Alain
Go to all my models
This is the most seductive Raspberry Pi case I have found on the Web. The curves are exactly at the right places. You really want to handle that object since you can see that your fingers are bound to fit somewhere along those curves.

Have you considered doing a "stackable" version of the design? If you did mirror images of those curves on the top and the bottom of the case then they could join together. Or you could devise some other way to have them join in a shapely way?

In some school environments (I used to work for Teachnet Consulting, which advised schools on PC installations) it's useful to have some of the computers grouped together.
Re: best case Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #46245 is a reply to message #45839 ] Sat, 31 March 2012 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Alain,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. My only concern with the "stackable" idea is how much heat these Raspberry Pi units generate and if there could be an over heating issue?

I have reduced the thickness of the case in certain areas and made the model include both lid and top part for €38.55.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/523600/custard-case-for-raspb erry-pi.html

Any further feedback would be fantastic!

Best regards,
Mark

[Updated on: Sat, 31 March 2012 16:49 UTC]

Re: best case Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #46249 is a reply to message #46245 ] Sat, 31 March 2012 18:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't think heat is going to be much of an issue. The Pi only draws about 5W or so.

Did you see the news from yesterday about Trademark Rules?

Re: best case Re: Raspberry Pi & Custard [message #46250 is a reply to message #46249 ] Sat, 31 March 2012 18:28 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Hi Paul,

Noted and thanks for the tradermark rule update, I have renamed the model to just "Custard Case".

Best regards,
Mark

Previous Topic:3D Printed Halo Avatar
Next Topic:The Claw

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.