Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Basic Steel Polishing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Basic Steel Polishing [message #46040] Tue, 27 March 2012 17:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar eiM  is currently offline eiM
Go to all my models
Hey everyone,

my first stainless steel parts will arive very soon and one of them is a present. I only have a few days from arrival till presentation and thus want to get everything I need for post production beforehand. I searched through this forum and found various topics, but you people use so many technical terms that I have trouble translating Wink

Basically my Stainless Steel part will have a few flat surfaces that I would like to polish. Consider I have nothing and no experience in this matter. What do I essentially need and is relatively cheap to get?

I figured some different Sandpapers and maybe a magic liquid could be a good start? I read there are different sizes of sandpaper, which should I get?

Thanks for your time and I'll reward you with some pictures once done Smile
Re: Basic Steel Polishing [message #46044 is a reply to message #46040 ] Tue, 27 March 2012 18:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop

Sandpaper polishing is the easiest and cheapest way to go. You can start with a coarse sheet of 300 and move up to a 1000. If the item is small and partly polished by Shapeways then just do the 1000 for a few minutes and you are done.

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
http://www.zazzle.com/innovodesign*
Re: Basic Steel Polishing [message #46136 is a reply to message #46040 ] Thu, 29 March 2012 14:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Look for sanding sheets known as wet/dry types. Aluminum oxide abrasives are cheap and work well. These are intended for metal , not for woodwork. Auto body supply stores sell it. You can glue small pieces to a flat block for lapping broad flat areas. Or you can glue strips to narrow flat sticks to make make your work easier. Spray adhesives work well for this. And some abrasive discs come pre treated with sticky backs.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:UV protection for PA 2200
Next Topic:MAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR MODELS!