Home » Community » General Discussion » Shrinkage and WSF
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shrinkage and WSF [message #46130] Thu, 29 March 2012 11:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar jkokkonen  is currently offline jkokkonen
Go to all my models
Hi,

I 'm planning to use 3D-printed parts in my hobby project. I uploaded a test model to Shapeways and received it printed. I'm very happy with the material and finish but have a question about shrinkage.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/461201/ac11dbb6eca626bbfd27c7 51b6c1841a.

Shapeways model checker showed the dimensions as cm: 4.36 w x 6.46 d x 5.22 h which is correct. When I measured the printed piece it was 4.29 W x 6.25 d x 5.06 h so the shrinkage varied from 1.6% to 3.3% in different directions.

Is this what I should expect? Or was I unlucky? I glanced the forums and found conflicting answers to this. One of the tutorials appears to say that shrinkage is taken care of and should not be a problem, of course to a certain accuracy.

I think I can work around that amount of shrinkage but should I be prepared for even more? Or even expansion?

jkokkonen
Re: Shrinkage and WSF [message #46168 is a reply to message #46130 ] Thu, 29 March 2012 23:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
It seems that you've got the model marked private. (or you deleted it)

You should expect some shrinkage on any model The various Design Rules pages list the shrinkage for most models. I've suggested that they move this shrinkage value to the main materials page(s).

The shrinkage should be fairly standard.. it shouldn't vary (much) from one order to the next.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Shrinkage and WSF [message #46176 is a reply to message #46168 ] Fri, 30 March 2012 08:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jkokkonen  is currently offline jkokkonen
Go to all my models
Thanks!

I had not found the "display to the public" option before. There is not much to see, though. Just a scaled down and simplified version of one of the parts I need.

I think "Designing mechanical parts, part I" in Tutorials gives a bit optimistic view of what to expect about shrinkage.

jkokkonen
Re: Shrinkage and WSF [message #46180 is a reply to message #46176 ] Fri, 30 March 2012 11:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar abby  is currently offline abby
Go to all my models
This amount of shrinkage is not acceptable and I would contact customer services for a re-print.
I have had only 1 experience of this amount of model under-sizing and it was quickly replaced FOC.
I add 2% to my patterns as they are used as masters for metal castings.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 11:21 UTC]

Previous Topic:Explorer ring from Uncharted sizes 6 - 11 available
Next Topic:Chicago Shapeways Community

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.