Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » White Strong & Flexible
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
White Strong & Flexible [message #2947] Wed, 11 February 2009 19:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Cosmic Tattoos  is currently offline Cosmic Tattoos
Go to all my models
I have printed a model that pushes the limit of the 3D printer.
The smallest part on the model is 0.5mm. The overall size is 6cm by 3.5cm. That size doesn't allow any room for a file or sander to do anything. When I received my model it had a lot of loose powder in the cracks and grooves.
To clean this up I used an Exacto blade to lightly loosen up the powder, scratching ever so slightly and blowing the dust away.
This worked for the bulk of it. Next I used a new toothbrush and violently scrubbed the model. I used a soft bristle brush first with no visible results. I then tried a firm brush and received my desired results. Finally I painted the model with Testor's "Model Master" Acrylics. These paints are really thin and wash up with water. I needed a thin paint to be able to retain the detail.
http://www.cosmictattoos.com/photos/MachinePrinted.jpg
http://www.cosmictattoos.com/photos/MachinePainted.jpg

The next experiment will be to try and somehow sand.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 February 2009 19:40 UTC]

Re: White Strong & Flexible [message #4612 is a reply to message #2947 ] Mon, 25 May 2009 16:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jano  is currently offline Jano
Go to all my models
Cosmic Tattoos wrote on Wed, 11 February 2009 19:39

The overall size is 6cm by 3.5cm.

Shocked Man, you've got some seriously big fingers if that part is 6x3.5 cm! Very Happy

Seriously, thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated! Smile

Previous Topic:Detail finishing
Next Topic:WSF postwork

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.