Home » Support » 3D Design » nodes and rods (network) structure
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45910] Sat, 24 March 2012 12:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar etto  is currently offline etto
Go to all my models
Hi,
I am very new to 3D prototyping. Unfortunately, I am starting with a quite complex model (got no other choice). I have lots of questions.

My model is a network structure; geometry is composed of very simple elements, that is nodes (spheres) and rods (extrusions of circles). What varies is the orientation of these elements in space. I model in vectorworks, that exports to STL.

I tried many times to upload to shapeways, but had no luck. Since all elements of the structure remained separated, I thought that making a boolean union of the whole would be a good thing. I mean, joining solids avoids non-manifold geometry, correct?
I only partially succeeded because I ended up with three solids. Vectorworks refuses to join those three. Can someone suggest another software to make the union?

Also, when I export to STL and check in netfabb, I don't get only three shells, as I expected. I get MANY MANY of them... how is that explained?

Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45911 is a reply to message #45910 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 12:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
index.php?t=getfile&id=15537&private=0
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45912 is a reply to message #45911 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 12:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
index.php?t=getfile&id=15538&private=0
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45913 is a reply to message #45912 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 12:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
index.php?t=getfile&id=15539&private=0
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45914 is a reply to message #45913 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 12:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
index.php?t=getfile&id=15540&private=0
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45921 is a reply to message #45914 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 14:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I've divided the structure into a few modules, isolating the parts that repeat. Shapeways upload system still responds that "Only manifold objects can be printed".

Can anyone help me understand what the problem is?
I attach the module I am currently working on.
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45922 is a reply to message #45921 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 14:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Is it me, or attachment doesn't work?

Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45925 is a reply to message #45922 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It seems that Vectorworks is doing a very bad job of the booleans, and/or the conversion to STL.

Since you've already got the model open in Netfabb, click on Repair. You'll see hundreds of holes hilighted in yellow:
index.php?t=getfile&id=15543&private=0

While you're at it, click "Automatic Repair", then "Default Repair". Then export the updated model. See if that helps any.

It seems that even then, Netfabb can't fix all of the "Flipped Triangles" You may have to go back to Vectorworks and see if there is any other option(s) for doing the booleans.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #45950 is a reply to message #45925 ] Sun, 25 March 2012 10:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
HI,
If your model is all solids maybe I can help. I use Autocad and the boolean command works fine. If you export your file as DWG and send it to me I will try to fix it.. If you don't want me to have your file still export it as maybe an 'IGES' but not as a DXF, that won't work with booleans, and try another software like 'Freecad' or 'Blender'
In Freecad you can also create mesh from geometry and export that as an STL.
http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/568/Exporting+Files
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?tit le=Main_Page

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #46042 is a reply to message #45950 ] Tue, 27 March 2012 17:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello stonysmith and jacant,
thank you very much for your help.

@stonysmith: I performed the 'default repair" as you said, and once it finishes and the repaired piece replaces the old one, the big " ! " on the lower right corner disappears so I assume all problems are solved, which is not because i still get an error when I upload to shapeways...

@jacant: I am more than willing to send you my file if you think you can help. I exported to DWG. Strange thing is that when I open this file with autocad 2012 for mac, the geometry appears corrupted, while opening in rhino it looks fine.
Anyway, if you give me your email address, I will send the file to you.

Again, thank you guys for support! it is truly appreciated

Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #46046 is a reply to message #46042 ] Tue, 27 March 2012 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
My email address is at the bottom of the page with this reply.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #46051 is a reply to message #46042 ] Wed, 28 March 2012 00:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What error are you getting when you upload the model (after repair).

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: nodes and rods (network) structure [message #46106 is a reply to message #46051 ] Wed, 28 March 2012 20:28 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
If you fixed this in Netfabb, and it still got rejected it could be that it is a big model. There are different rules for 'big parts'
http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/wsf_bigparts
As can be seen your minimum wall thickness will need to be 1.92mm.
index.php?t=getfile&id=15690&private=0
My email address is under this last line.

• Attachment: bitmap.png
    (Size: 65.09KB, Downloaded 102 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2012 20:30 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Min void vs Min thk?
Next Topic:Missing components on upload, for some sizes

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.