Home » Community » Work in progress » First 3D print project : coin
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First 3D print project : coin [message #31848] Sat, 30 July 2011 09:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar ssb  is currently offline ssb
Go to all my models
Hello,

I am doing my first project on Cinema 4D R10.
It is very simple. A cylinder (2mm thick, 25 mm Diameter), some text curved into circles on both sides (0,5mm thick), and some shapes on both sides (0,5mm thick)

I understood, from the support section, that I have to NOT use Booleans.
I also understood that I have to create a single object (in that I may be wrong).

So how do I connect my central cylinder to the texts ans shapes without the boolean to create a single object ?
I really don't know how to create a clean object without this boolean. I don't understand why it wouldn't work. Usually, after the model is shaped into one object, I "convert it to object Polygone" then clean it if necessary. The "not using Boolean" just messes with my way of doing things ! Smile

Thanks for your answers ! Smile

Stéphane
Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #31849 is a reply to message #31848 ] Sat, 30 July 2011 10:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Stéphane,

Welcome to Shapeways!

I've no experience of Cinema 4D, but I would say do your booleans, and then check the model with NetFabb (free) to see if there are any errors. You can also repair any errors with NetFabb. If everything is ok and loks good in NetFabb, then you model will upload and print ok.

Hope this helps.
Paul

Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #31850 is a reply to message #31849 ] Sat, 30 July 2011 10:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Hi, Stéphane.

Similarly, I don't know Cinema 4D, but I agree, use your booleans as planned, and as Paul said, you check it afterwards to make sure it's okay. I use booleans all the time (it's the only way I know to form the sockets for my all-important ball joints), and it works just fine.

If I understand it correctly, the only issue is that some programs handle booleans in such a way that it results in a non-watertight mesh. But even if Cinema 4D is one of these programs, it should be easily fixable.

Good luck!

Andy
Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #31915 is a reply to message #31848 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 10:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks !

I am going to try that.

An other answer tells me that the 3D Print software will convert my designs into a single object if the intersect.
Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #31917 is a reply to message #31915 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 11:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Ah, yes. Shapeways'own software automatically assumes that two objects that intersect are supposed to be a single piece. One thing to remember there, though, is to make sure that parts actually overlap; I don't think it works if the parts are just flush with each other.
Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #45797 is a reply to message #31917 ] Wed, 21 March 2012 19:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I did download Netfabb but I don't understand shit to the software...
Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #45799 is a reply to message #45797 ] Wed, 21 March 2012 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello,

Here is a link to my file : http://dl.free.fr/pEDA3RkrP

It is a coin. I have absolutely no clue to the fact that it is printable or not, what size it will come out.

It seems it is 50mm diameter ?
I tried Netfabb but I don't understand what I am supposed to do with it.

Pleeeeease help ! Embarassed
Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #45847 is a reply to message #45799 ] Thu, 22 March 2012 23:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
ssb wrote on Wed, 21 March 2012 19:27

I tried Netfabb but I don't understand what I am supposed to do with it.

Basically, netfabb is pretty simpel.

Open your file.
If you don't see this symbol...

http://i39.tinypic.com/j0ffhf.png

...next to your model --> do nothing. ^^

Otherwise go to "Extras" --> "Repair Part", click the "automatic repair" button and choose the "default repair" option.

...but, as far as I know, netfabb doesn't support the C4D format.
Are you able to save your model as STL or OBJ file ?
Re: First 3D print project : coin [message #45860 is a reply to message #45847 ] Fri, 23 March 2012 09:49 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
And when it is done, hop ! It is all good ? Smile

C4D allows to save in STL... (I didn't look for the OBJ)

[Updated on: Fri, 23 March 2012 09:52 UTC]

Previous Topic:Ripp'd iPhone Case
Next Topic:Printable in stainless steel?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.