Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Work in progress » Help breaking down spaceship?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help breaking down spaceship? [message #45627] Sat, 17 March 2012 21:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar ColdWarrior  is currently offline ColdWarrior
Go to all my models
Hi all. I am totally new to 3D printing and looking for some feedback on a model. I'm not sure the appropriate place to post this so I will start here since this is technically still a WIP. If it more appropriate somewhere else, please let me know.

Not knowing exactly how this process works, I'm not sure how this object needs to be broken down for printing. I can't imagine that it can be printed as a single object. If not, then I imagine I need to create some sprues of some kind with the smaller objects/pieces. Total height would be around 10 cm.

The pics are of slightly different versions. It would be hollow with enough thickness to ensure durability.

As I mentioned, I am totally new to this process so anything would help. Anyone have any input? I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA.

• Attachment: drop_all.jpg
    (Size: 173.72KB, Downloaded 149 time(s))

Re: Help breaking down spaceship? [message #45633 is a reply to message #45627 ] Sun, 18 March 2012 00:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There is no "need" to break it down into separate parts, uness you want any of the pieces to rotate/bend/flex, and even then, it's possible to print in place parts such that can still move, if you pay attention to the minimum clearances needed.

You might want to separate the peices such that you could paint them easier and then assemble after they are painted, but again, there's no real requirement to do so.

At 10cm, it's going to run around $50 to print in WSF, "a bit more" in the other materials.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Help breaking down spaceship? [message #45704 is a reply to message #45627 ] Mon, 19 March 2012 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Ooh hello. Is this for a static model or do are its parts movable?

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: Help breaking down spaceship? [message #45707 is a reply to message #45704 ] Mon, 19 March 2012 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ColdWarrior  is currently offline ColdWarrior
Go to all my models
It's just static. I hadn't really thought about moving parts since I am so unfamiliar with the capabilities of the printing process. Not sure what it is capable of doing.

Thanks!
Re: Help breaking down spaceship? [message #45801 is a reply to message #45707 ] Wed, 21 March 2012 19:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Sweeeet. Cool
Union class ?

Be warned, such a big model will be expensive...
Re: Help breaking down spaceship? [message #45806 is a reply to message #45627 ] Wed, 21 March 2012 21:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
"do are its parts movable?" Hahaha, I'm silly.

You could definitely print that in one go. So long as the little/thin parts are thick enough for whichever material you want it printed in to not snap off, and you've got a hole or a few holes to let out excess material from the middle of a hollow object, then it should be fine...

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.

Previous Topic:Raspberry Pi Case, a new design.
Next Topic:New Patent Leather Burlesque Figure

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.