Home » Support » 3D Applications » Any ZBrush users out there ?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #45794] Wed, 21 March 2012 18:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar Tballew  is currently offline Tballew
Go to my shop
Hi ... am a newbie on ZBrush but have sculpted some small jewelry pieces to try out the printing. Cannot find out how to set mesh thickness in ZBrush. Help?
Tom Confused
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #46909 is a reply to message #45794 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 02:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Vargulf  is currently offline Vargulf
Go to my shop
I may be completely off but I just use the 3dprint exporter plugin that comes with Zbrush.
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #47114 is a reply to message #46909 ] Tue, 17 April 2012 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rubyscooby  is currently offline rubyscooby
Go to my shop
Hi I am starting to print with Zbrush too. I had some problems with wall thickness and could not print in metal only black detail. If you use dynamesh there is an option to make hollow by inserting a mesh. Google dynamesh to find out. Otherwise if it's a flat piece you could build the base in another program and import it in.

Good Luck

Ruby
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #47638 is a reply to message #47114 ] Sun, 29 April 2012 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tballew  is currently offline Tballew
Go to my shop
Thanks Vargulf, for the 3D Exporter info. I had been spending a lot of time on netfabb, but the Exporter seems to handle everything !

I measure the parts of my items with a scale (ruler) held up to my screen. Do you have any suggestions regarding this ?

i am doing my work on an iMac-leopard OS X.

Finally figured out that the "create shell > thickness " slider in Dynamesh represents mm of shell thickness..
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #47639 is a reply to message #47638 ] Sun, 29 April 2012 19:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Vargulf  is currently offline Vargulf
Go to my shop
I was wondering the same thing until a few days ago. I wasn't in any rush for exact measurements as I haven't made anything where it is dire, such as rings.

I saw someone was making rings so I asked. He uses Meshlab which has a measurement tool.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

It is free which is always a plus and I was able to load the 3d exported STL just fine and make any measurement I needed.

Hope that helps.

Edit: missed that you have a mac. I checked. Meshlab does indeed work on a mac as well.

Happy measuring!

[Updated on: Sun, 29 April 2012 19:55 UTC]

Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #48698 is a reply to message #47638 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 03:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
[quote title=Tballew wrote on Sun, 29 April 2012 19:41
I measure the parts of my items with a scale (ruler) held up to my screen. Do you have any suggestions regarding this ?

Finally figured out that the "create shell > thickness " slider in Dynamesh represents mm of shell thickness.. [/quote]

ZBrush doesn't have native measurements as such. I use 3D Print Exporter and will adjust the "size" of the model using the "mm" button and "Update Size Ratios" before exporting. Then I import the OBJ file into another programme (Rhino) to make it the exact size I need.

And I don't believe the thickness slider actually measures in mm but rather a ratio of the model size itself. Now, if you've managed to figure out the exact size to export at I suppose it would be possible that the slider could, then, represent mm.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #48982 is a reply to message #48698 ] Sat, 26 May 2012 21:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Yeah, I use Zbrush 4R2 and I ran into this issue too. What I do now is I export my model as a .OBJ and measure with Rhino. Those two are the best combination for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:when I upload my model it is distorted. Help?
Next Topic:How do I boolean together subtools in Zbrush?