Home » Support » 3D Applications » From 3ds....
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
From 3ds.... [message #45488] Wed, 14 March 2012 11:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar James3DS  is currently offline James3DS
Go to all my models
Hello,
When I export my model from 3ds Max, the model is always faceted in the shapeways preview no matter how much I smooth it.
Could anybody tell me if I can smooth it in the Shapeways editor or how if they know any appropriate settings prior to export from 3ds Max.
Thanks,
James Abell.
Re: From 3ds.... [message #45522 is a reply to message #45488 ] Wed, 14 March 2012 22:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Hi
I use Autocad I don't know if any of the commands are the same in 3DS. Same company (autodesk).
Try 'facetres' on the command line. change parameters to 10.
This site has a reference to 3DS.
http://solidwild.posterous.com/cad-guide-to-stl-export-for-3 d-printing

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: From 3ds.... [message #45609 is a reply to message #45488 ] Sat, 17 March 2012 03:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Smoothing is a effect that alters a models surface during render. For nicer images.
A 3D printers takes into account the positions of every vertice, thus corresponding faces, and tries to form the model from the info in the file.(Mathematical position in 3d space) If you want a smoother object to be printed, subdivide it to the max, smaller faces,shorter edges lead to a smoother looking result. Excuse, the max comment was not a pun.Smile.
Consistant faces is why a manifold mesh is so important to the printer. Its a dumb machine, after all

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: From 3ds.... [message #45773 is a reply to message #45488 ] Tue, 20 March 2012 23:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar James3DS  is currently offline James3DS
Go to all my models
Ok,
Thanks, I will subdivide more and try that.
I want the 3d print when I get it, to use as a model for a silicon mould or similar and then make copies in resin.
I think I can smooth out the facets when I cast it and then can recast it.
Thanks.
Re: From 3ds.... [message #70848 is a reply to message #45609 ] Tue, 02 July 2013 21:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar meshfx  is currently offline meshfx
Go to my shop
Hey,

Just want to jump in on this one, are you referring to the standard 'Subdivide' modifier? I tried that and I couldn't get a smooth edge. My example, if I chamfer the edges of a tube you can see the polys - when I subdivide it I can still see the polys.

Can you let me know what you do about this sort of thing?

Many thanks.

S.
Re: From 3ds.... [message #70870 is a reply to message #70848 ] Wed, 03 July 2013 07:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I use Blender, so I don't know if it's the same but ...

Subdivide adds more vertexes into the existing mesh but does not change the shape of anything. The Subdivision Surface Modifier adds in extra verices AND changes the shape to be smoother. So I would look for something like that (maybe it's called SubSurf).

Good Luck
Re: From 3ds.... [message #70928 is a reply to message #70870 ] Thu, 04 July 2013 05:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar meshfx  is currently offline meshfx
Go to my shop
Thanks I will keep looking, I'll see some of the other smoothing modifiers based on what you said.

Cheers

S.

Previous Topic:Solidworks not saving colour in VRML (sometimes)
Next Topic:Materials for use in cryogenics

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.