Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » "Proofer" for full-color sandstone model needed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
"Proofer" for full-color sandstone model needed [message #45314] Sun, 11 March 2012 14:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar akwhitacre  is currently offline akwhitacre
Go to all my models
I'm wondering if a friendly neighborhood Shapewayer has some experience preparing Sketchup files for full-color sandstone.

I have a model (which, as a first-timer, I'm darn proud of), but I'm not experienced enough to figure out why my various filetypes (.skp, VRML, etc.) only ever import as gray. I've gone through the FAQ and forum-advice process but still don't quite understand folks' instructions.

Would someone be up for "proofreading" or troubleshooting my model, both to get it to print in full-color sandstone and, since I'm so new, walk me through me how to do it right in the future?
Re: "Proofer" for full-color sandstone model needed [message #45315 is a reply to message #45314 ] Sun, 11 March 2012 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Hi, welcome to Shapeways!

Have you seen this tutorial by forum member Aaron? Textured Models with SketchUp and MeshLab. This will show you how to make a model with only one texture.

More complicated models can certainly be made, in fact I just finished 2 full-color sandstone projects that I designed in Sketchup. I had to figure out a workflow to combine textures inside Sketchup, and it works great!

If you have a more complicated model, or have any questions about the tutorial, I can take a look at it for you, just shoot me an email marcus (at) denali3ddesign (dot) com

Cheers,

[Updated on: Sun, 11 March 2012 17:07 UTC]

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: "Proofer" for full-color sandstone model needed [message #45319 is a reply to message #45315 ] Sun, 11 March 2012 18:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar akwhitacre  is currently offline akwhitacre
Go to all my models
Awesome, Marcus, thanks! I figured it was going to be a texture/color challenge going in -- it's a model of a house, so it features three textures (roof shingles, siding, and foundation stones) and a couple colors.

I'll pass along the file tomorrow when I can doublecheck my other computer for the latest one.

Previous Topic:Help with Raspberry Pi case
Next Topic:Virtuoso needed to work the Easy Creator

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.