Home » Support » 3D Applications » Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl [message #45250] Sat, 10 March 2012 16:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar Nathan2012  is currently offline Nathan2012
Go to my shop
Hi there

I am still having problems trying to export SketchUp models as .stl files. I have tried various plugins (stl4su, su2kt, su2stl.rbs) but none seem to work. I have also tried following the tutorial on saving the model as an stl file in Meshlabs. I export the model as a Collada file and open it up in Meshlabs but then I cannot find an option for saving as an stl (just .mlp or .aln files). Can anyone help please?
Re: Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl [message #45252 is a reply to message #45250 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 17:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hello,
I use this.
I used to have problems exporting as a .stl so have always used that and it works every time.

Tom.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 March 2012 17:04 UTC]

Re: Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl [message #45262 is a reply to message #45250 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 18:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the link to the stl converter file. Unfortunately I've already tried this and it never works for me. I decided to try Accutrans. So far I can save my models in this program as a Collada file, but I still encounter the same problem of having the model flipped on its side in the Shapeways preview, or I can save it as an stl but for some reason it reduces the model down to a fraction of the size it is supposed to be. What am I doing wrong?
Re: Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl [message #45268 is a reply to message #45262 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 20:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Once you have opened your DAE file in Meshlab.
Go to File - Export mesh as
Change files of type to STL
Save model
Get yourself a copy of Netfabb
http://netfabb.com/basic.php
Open the newly created STL in Netfabb
From there you can check, repair, scale and rotate your file.
Then go to Part - Export part as STL
It will check your model again. If need be click on repair until you get a green tick.
If you do not get the green tick, click on ignore, save file, then try uploading your model to Netfabb Cloud
http://cloud.netfabb.com/

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl [message #45272 is a reply to message #45250 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks - I'll try this method out.
Re: Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl [message #45312 is a reply to message #45250 ] Sun, 11 March 2012 14:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, thanks for all the advice. I'm nearly there, but not quite!

I opened up a couple of models in Netfabb and did an automatic repair and got the green tick. I then saved it as an stl and uploaded it to Shapeways. This has solved the problem I was having of the models being flipped on their side in the preview - they now preview in the correct orientation. However, there are some small parts missing from the models which I don't understand as they uploaded completely as Collada files. Can anyone help please?

Thanks!
Re: Problems exporting SketchUp as an.stl [message #45320 is a reply to message #45312 ] Sun, 11 March 2012 18:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Why don't you just rotate your objects in Sketchup and upload your DAE file direct to Shapeways?
In Skecthup select all your parts or model you want rotating.
Go to tools - Rotate
The compass will appear, pick the axis you want to rotate on, the compass will change colour. Pick an endpoint to start pick another endpoint on the same axis and flip your part or model around to the required axis.

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Google SketchUp question
Next Topic:Best Way to Hollow out Objects