Home » Community » It arrived! » shipping
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
shipping [message #45090] Thu, 08 March 2012 21:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar Brick  is currently offline Brick
Go to my shop
i checked the tracking of my package and it says' The driver was unable to collect funds on the 1st delivery attempt. A 2nd delivery attempt will be made'.

what funds is it referring to? i paid shipping already when i made the order.
Re: shipping [message #45091 is a reply to message #45090 ] Thu, 08 March 2012 21:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
You probably are being charged import duty fees. I've had that happen before. How big was your order?

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: shipping [message #45092 is a reply to message #45091 ] Thu, 08 March 2012 21:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
including shipping, it was only $35.
Re: shipping [message #45097 is a reply to message #45092 ] Thu, 08 March 2012 22:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar basketjammer  is currently offline basketjammer
Go to my shop
Yup, those would be the import fees UPS is charging you (and they can be exorbitant). I routinely get charged anywhere from 30-60% of my model's worth in brokerage and duty fees.

It is just the cost of being able to rapidly prototype, and it is something you'll likely have to get used to!
Re: shipping [message #45101 is a reply to message #45097 ] Thu, 08 March 2012 22:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
dang, that really throws a wet rag on it all...

BTW, what happens if i ain't home next time they try? It goes to my local UPS and i have to go there to pickup/pay?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 March 2012 22:35 UTC]

Re: shipping [message #45106 is a reply to message #45101 ] Thu, 08 March 2012 22:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar basketjammer  is currently offline basketjammer
Go to my shop
I believe they make three delivery attempts (3 consecutive business days), and if at that point they have been unable to meet someone at the house to collect the funds, they'll hold it at the depot. If it sits at the depot without being picked up for too long they will send it back to the company that shipped the package to you.
Re: shipping [message #45155 is a reply to message #45106 ] Fri, 09 March 2012 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I got it today.

My first reaction...I was really impressed. It was the size, weight and texture (Bronze Matte) I was hoping for.

The disappointment are my own goofs. It is meant to go on my keychain but the the hole in my model was too small. I might be able to find and fit small wire through it or something.

Also, the symmetry is a little off, but again, looking at my model, it's my goof.

Was it worth $29 +$6(shipping) + $15 (duty) = $50?...

I'd say yes, but I probably won't be making as many items as I first thought, mainly because of the duty cost. %50 of the model...ouch.
Re: shipping [message #45308 is a reply to message #45155 ] Sun, 11 March 2012 11:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AD-Edge  is currently offline AD-Edge
Go to my shop
Yeh these additional costs UPS are throwing onto these things is really quite the joke.
3D printing itself is expensive enough at the moment, and I find it somewhat dishonest on the part of the shipping company to slam you with further fees as soon as the package arrives. If anything, there should be a way to calculate an approximation of the additional fee, given the weight of the package and location its being shipped to.

Coming from Australia, Ive never actually had these additional fees (yet), but it is aggravating to see it happening to others, and I worry about my potential future overseas customers when I start selling 3D prints from my own shop......

Re: shipping [message #45345 is a reply to message #45308 ] Mon, 12 March 2012 01:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There ara tables for the UPS fees, you just have to look them up. For example Canada ones http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs _clearance.html
Re: shipping [message #45677 is a reply to message #45308 ] Mon, 19 March 2012 01:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
AD-Edge wrote on Sun, 11 March 2012 11:55

Coming from Australia, Ive never actually had these additional fees (yet), but it is aggravating to see it happening to others, and I worry about my potential future overseas customers when I start selling 3D prints from my own shop......

Yes, I've had many gripes here about UPS and have had to severely cut back my orders... For example I was once charged $14 at the door by UPS for a $7 WSF model! I've seen on the forums here that Australians don't get charged anything on orders less than $1000 so you can count yourself lucky!

I really hope Shapeways can come up with another shipping option soon. When I order from other companies in the States I always ask if they will ship by mail even if they don't state it. Most will oblige but if they say they only use UPS I tell them they just lost a customer and the reason why.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Twisted Star Lamp
Next Topic:Santisima Trinidad- bow gallery

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.