Home » Community » General Discussion » materials for Microphone clips
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
materials for Microphone clips [message #44946] Tue, 06 March 2012 11:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar DdH  is currently offline DdH
Go to all my models
1st post here, so hello everybody.

I am thinking of making a clip to hold 2 microphones together (for a Mid-Side stereo setup to whom this means something). Some concepts of the basic shape can be seem in my shop. It sould be applied like on this image:
http://pro-music-news.com/html/02/91009neu.jpg
or
http://www.professional-production.de/uploads/pics/nprodukte /09/09-07/Bilder/EmesseraufSchoeps.jpg

As my concepts suggest, the Clip should fit tight around the mic but should still be easy to de- and attach. Therefore I have to find the right Material and "ring thickness".
Is your technology precise enough to do so and with what material?
Will some materials tension wear out when under tension over time?
How flexible is flexible as in WSF? Like rubber?
Are there already similar applications i missed?

regards
Re: materials for Microphone clips [message #44951 is a reply to message #44946 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 14:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgbJB9v6Zk

WSF is nylon, and if you design the clip thick enough, it should last for years. I don't believe that it gets brittle with age.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: materials for Microphone clips [message #44952 is a reply to message #44946 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 14:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Many thanks for your answer. That video is indeed a hint.
What are production tolerances with WSF?
Would WSF have the same size from -10 to +40 degree Celsius? Does temperature influence elasticity?

[Updated on: Tue, 06 March 2012 14:32 UTC]

Re: materials for Microphone clips [message #44953 is a reply to message #44946 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 15:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You should be able to find all the tolerances here and in the link on that page to the design rules.
I don't know if it covers cold tolerance though.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: materials for Microphone clips [message #44957 is a reply to message #44953 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 16:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Please excuse my ignorance, but I do not find any tolerance values, neither on the link, nor the PA 2200 product sheet. The WSF page states a minimum detail of 0.2mm though.
My issue is, if I have a Mic of let's say 20mm diameter, I need the next lower amount for the inner diameter of my Clip that shapeways will not round up to 20mm again.
So referring to the minimum detail value, that'd be 19.8mm?

Kind regards
Re: materials for Microphone clips [message #44958 is a reply to message #44946 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You have to read down this very long page but the accuracy will depend on the print orientation. It is best to give a little wiggle room, and not design to exactly what you're trying to fit.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: materials for Microphone clips [message #44962 is a reply to message #44958 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 17:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks again, the lower graphs suggest some 0.02 to 0.06 variations, depending on wall size, pins, etc.

Youknowwho4eva wrote on Tue, 06 March 2012 16:19

It is best to give a little wiggle room, and not design to exactly what you're trying to fit.

Just for my understanding, I do not wish the microphone to wiggle or slide inside the clip, or be somehow lose. The clip is supposed to work as a clamp.
If I understand you correctly, you suggest, that lets say a nominal 20.2mm diameter will come out somewhere at around 19.8 to fit tightly around a 20mm microphone?

[Updated on: Tue, 06 March 2012 17:35 UTC]

Re: materials for Microphone clips [message #44963 is a reply to message #44946 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 17:54 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I should have looked at your images before hand I guess. if you were making a full circle, than you'd want some wiggle room. Seeing your not doing complete circles, I'd think modeling it at 20mm would work. WSF is a porous nylon material.

I'll go back to your original questions
Will some materials tension wear out when under tension over time?
For your application, I don't see that as a problem. For thin walls, and lots of flexing it probably would wear quicker
How flexible is flexible as in WSF? Like rubber?
It's more like Polypropylene, but more resilient. if you bend a PP part it'll crease, where WSF would be harder to permanently deform.
Are there already similar applications i missed?
I think most the iphone cases use the flexibility of the materials to snap onto the edges of the phones. This includes the detail materials.

Previous Topic:New Business - Feasibility Study
Next Topic:Filigree, piercework over a 3D shape

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.