Home » Community » General Discussion » Alternative High Resolution Faux Metal Process - Maybe shapeways would package this?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Alternative High Resolution Faux Metal Process - Maybe shapeways would package this? [message #44927] Mon, 05 March 2012 23:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar Tamert  is currently offline Tamert
Go to all my models
Hello Shapeways,

After evaluating the existing metal printing options provided by shapeways, I found that they just weren't able to reach the level of detail that I required. I have found that that combining high resolution plastic printing with metal plating of plastic parts was able to meet my need. The process entails having a plastic part printed and then sent off to a third party that provides the plating surface.

As an example, I'm attaching a photo of the unplated part to this post and then a second in the next post because I can only attach one photo per post.

I'd like to get a discussion started here. If shapeways offered this as a "finishing" option just like their "polished" option, would you use it? I know I would. Just wondering if the community would also be interested. Shapeways would just have to contract with the third party for the service as a bundle or something (not my company, I'm utilizing the third party service).

Re: Alternative High Resolution Faux Metal Process - Maybe shapeways would package this? [message #44928 is a reply to message #44927 ] Mon, 05 March 2012 23:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tamert  is currently offline Tamert
Go to all my models
Here is the part after plating. Any finish from nickel, copper, gold, etc. can be applied. I applied 3 mils of bright copper here.

Re: Alternative High Resolution Faux Metal Process - Maybe shapeways would package this? [message #44929 is a reply to message #44928 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 00:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
First condition would be avaliability of the high resolution plastic.
Re: Alternative High Resolution Faux Metal Process - Maybe shapeways would package this? [message #44939 is a reply to message #44927 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 06:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar VeryWetPaint  is currently offline VeryWetPaint
Go to my shop
It would certainly be nice to have another metallic choice. I'm working on a puzzle toy that needs metal-like rigidity, but Alumide is too rough, stainless is not precise enough, and the geometry is unsuited for silver casting.

Some service agencies already do metal-coated prototypes, albeit at full-service prices:

FineLine's SLArmor is a hard nickel coating on SLA parts. They claim to preserve the accuracy of the original model.

C.ideas offers extra-cost choices of vacuum metallizing, chroming, or nickel electroplating.
Re: Alternative High Resolution Faux Metal Process - Maybe shapeways would package this? [message #44940 is a reply to message #44939 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 07:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop

I really like this option. I vote yes for a trial. Thumbs Up

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
http://www.zazzle.com/innovodesign*

Previous Topic:Selling the rights to a design.
Next Topic:New Business - Feasibility Study